桐木舟学英语人工智能

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
查看: 741|回复: 8

The Golden Lotus (Chapter 1 The Brotherhood of Rascals)

[复制链接]

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
发表于 2022-3-3 02:56:45 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
The Golden Lotus (Chapter 1 The Brotherhood of Rascals) (Part 1)
CHAPTER 1 (Part 1)
IN the mighty dynasty of Song, when Huizong was Emperor, and in the Zhenghe period of his reign [1111–1119], there lived at Qinghe, a city of the prefecture of Dongping in Shandong, a dissolute young man whose name was Ximen Qing. He was about twenty-seven years old, and the master of a fine estate. A gay, good-looking fellow, he was, unfortunately, flighty and unstable. His father, Ximen Da, had once traveled through Sichuan and Guangdong dealing in raw medicines, and later he opened a shop near the Town Hall of Qinghe. He lived in a splendid house that had a frontage of five rooms upon the street, and wings that went back even farther. He had a host of servants, and a very considerable number of horses and mules. Though, perhaps, he was not quite a millionaire, he was certainly one of the richest men in the whole district.
Ximen Da and his wife showered affection upon their only child, and allowed him to do exactly as he pleased. While he was still comparatively young, they died. The boy paid scant attention to his studies, idled about, and finally gave himself up entirely to dissipation. Indeed, after his parents’ death, he was seldom to be found at home, but spent all his time in the pursuit of forbidden pleasures. He learned to box, to wield the quarterstaff, and to play a good game of chess. He gambled a great deal, and became so skilled in the game of pai that he could distinguish the different pieces by simply touching them. In fact, so far as such accomplishments were concerned, there was very little he did not know.
His friends and acquaintances were wastrels and spongers who spent all their lives in amusing themselves at other people’s expense. The chief among them was Ying Bojue, the son of a silk merchant. He had squandered the wealth his father had left him, and had sunk so low that he spent all his time waiting about the Town Hall, ready to go with anyone to the bawdy house, or to dine with the first-comer who would pay for a meal.
People nicknamed him Beggar Ying. He was an expert at kickball, backgammon, chess and all sorts of other games.
Then there was Xie Xida. This man’s grandfather had been a minor official at Qinghe, and his parents had died while he was still a youth. He wasted his time, and paid no attention to his duties, so he lost his position, and now led a life of leisure. He played the lute.
These two and Ximen Qing were as thick as thieves, and there were several more, of varying degrees of disreputability. One was Zhu Shinian; another Sun Tianhua, also known as Greedy Chops. Then there was Wu Dian’en, who had once been Master of the Yin Yang for the district. He had been dismissed, and now was always to be found hanging about the Town Hall in the hope of finding a job as witness for the officials in their money-lending transactions. In this way he made the acquaintance of Ximen Qing.
Other friends were Yun Lishou, a younger brother of Colonel Yun; Chang Zhijie; Bu Zhidao; and Bai Laiguang, who was also known as Guangtang. When people remarked that this was a strange name, he would become very indignant and enter upon a long explanation, which, by reference to the Book of History, was supposed to show that his tutor, when he had conferred that name upon him, had made an admirable choice. “If there had been anything objectionable about it,” he used to say, “I should have changed it long ago, but, obviously, it has important historical associations, and I shall most certainly retain it.”
There were, perhaps, ten of them in all, and, when they discovered that Ximen Qing was not only a very rich man, but ready to throw his money about, they led him on to gamble, drink and run after women.
The House of Ximen had fallen upon evil days. It had given to the world an unworthy son, who chose his friends from among those destitute of every virtue. It was inevitably doomed to impoverishment.
Ximen Qing was reckless, but when he took it into his head to bestir himself, he was capable of showing that he was no fool. He lent money to the officials and even had dealings with the four corrupt ministers, Gao, Yang, Tong and Cai. So he came to be mixed up in all kinds of official matters, acting as intervener for people at law, arbitrating in cases of dispute, and, sometimes, acting as stakeholder. The people of Qinghe stood in awe of him and spoke of him as “His Lordship Ximen.” His first wife, a Miss Chen, died young, leaving him with a little daughter, and this daughter was now betrothed to Chen Jingji, a relative of Marshal Yang, the Commander of the Imperial Guard at the Eastern Capital.
After the death of his wife, Ximen found himself without a housekeeper, and married the daughter of a certain Captain Wu. This lady was about twenty-five years old. As she was born on the fifteenth day of the eighth month, her parents called her Yueniang [“Moon Lady”], and she was still known by that name after her marriage to Ximen Qing. She was gentle and quiet, a good wife, and faultlessly obedient to her husband.
She had three or four maids and serving women to wait upon her, and Ximen Qing had taken his pleasure with all of them.
As a second wife, he married a girl from the bawdy house, called Li Jiao’er, and as his third, a young woman from South Street, who had been his mistress. She was not very strong, and suffered from so many different illnesses that Ximen Qing again went off to “fly with the wind and sport with the moon!”

话说大宋徽宗皇帝政和年间,山东省东平府清河县中,有一个风流子弟,生得状貌魁梧,性情潇洒,饶有几贯家资,年纪二十六七。这人复姓西门,单讳一个庆字。他父亲西门达,原走川广贩药材,就在这清河县前开着一个大大的生药铺。现住着门面五间到底七进的房子。家中呼奴使婢,骡马成群,虽算不得十分富贵,却也是清河县中一个殷实的人家。只为这西门达员外夫妇去世的早,单生这个儿子却又百般爱惜,听其所为,所以这人不甚读书,终日闲游浪荡。一自父母亡后,专一在外眠花宿柳,惹草招风,学得些好拳棒,又会赌博,双陆象棋,抹牌道字,无不通晓。结识的朋友,也都是些帮闲抹嘴,不守本分的人。第一个最相契的,姓应名伯爵,表字光侯,原是开绸缎铺应员外的第二个儿子,落了本钱,跌落下来,专在本司三院帮嫖贴食,因此人都起他一个浑名叫做应花子。又会一腿好气球,双陆棋子,件件皆通。第二个姓谢名希大,字子纯,乃清河卫千户官儿应袭子孙,自幼父母双亡,游手好闲,把前程丢了,亦是帮闲勤儿,会一手好琵琶。自这两个与西门庆甚合得来。其余还有几个,都是些破落户,没名器的。一个叫做祝实念,表字贡诚。一个叫做孙天化,表字伯修,绰号孙寡嘴。一个叫做吴典恩,乃是本县阴阳生,因事革退,专一在县前与官吏保债,以此与西门庆往来。还有一个云参将的兄弟叫做云理守,字非去。一个叫做常峙节,表字坚初。一个叫做卜志道。一个叫做白赉光,表字光汤。说这白赉光,众人中也有道他名字取的不好听的,他却自己解说道:「不然我也改了,只为当初取名的时节,原是一个门馆先生,说我姓白,当初有一个什么故事,是白鱼跃入武王舟。又说有两句书是『周有大赉,于汤有光」,取这个意思,所以表字就叫做光汤。我因他有这段故事,也便不改了。」说这一干共十数人,见西门庆手里有钱,又撒漫肯使,所以都乱撮哄着他耍钱饮酒,嫖赌齐行。正是:
  把盏衔杯意气深,兄兄弟弟抑何亲。一朝平地风波起,此际相交才见心。
说话的,这等一个人家,生出这等一个不肖的儿子,又搭了这等一班无益有损的朋友,随你怎的豪富也要穷了,还有甚长进的日子!却有一个缘故,只为这西门庆生来秉性刚强,作事机深诡谲,又放官吏债,就是那朝中高杨童蔡四大奸臣,他也有门路与他浸润。所以专在县里管些公事,与人把搅说事过钱,因此满县人都惧怕他。因他排行第一,人都叫他是西门大官人。这西门大官人先头浑家陈氏早逝,身边只生得一个女儿,叫做西门大姐,就许与东京八十万禁军杨提督的亲家陈洪的儿子陈敬济为室,尚未过门。只为亡了浑家,无人管理家务,新近又娶了本县清河左卫吴千户之女填房为继室。这吴氏年纪二十五六,是八月十五生的,小名叫做月姐,后来嫁到西门庆家,都顺口叫他月娘。却说这月娘秉性贤能,夫主面上百依百随。房中也有三四个丫鬟妇女,都是西门庆收用过的。又尝与勾栏内李娇儿打热,也娶在家里做了第二房娘子。南街又占着窠子卓二姐,名卓丢儿,包了些时,也娶来家做了第三房。只为卓二姐身子瘦怯,时常三病四痛,他却又去飘风戏月,调弄人家妇女。正是:
  东家歌笑醉红颜,又向西邻开玳宴。几日碧桃花下卧,牡丹开处总堪怜。

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-3 03:18:08 | 显示全部楼层
CHAPTER 1 (Part 2)
One day, when Ximen Qing was at home with nothing to do, he said to his wife: “It is the twenty-fifth day of the ninth month, and on the third of next month, I am supposed to be meeting my friends. I think I will entertain them here, and engage a couple of singing girls, so that we can have our amusement at home without needing to go elsewhere. Will you make the necessary arrangements?”
“I wish you wouldn’t mention those horrible creatures to me,” Wu Yueniang said. “There isn’t a decent fellow among them. Day after day, they come here, like messengers of Hell, putting ideas into your silly mind and making an absolute fool of you.
Never, since you’ve known them, have you spent a whole day in your own house. The Third Lady is anything but well, and I think you might give up these drinking parties, for a while at least.”
“Generally,” Ximen Qing said, “I find your conversation delightful, but today your remarks are a little wearying. To hear you talk, all my friends might be beyond the pale. I don’t mind so much what you say about the others, but surely Brother Ying is an honest, entertaining fellow. If we ask him to do anything for us, he never raises any objection, and what he does, he does well. Then Xie Xida is clever as well as conscientious. But there is this much to be said. So long as our meetings are irregular and uncertain, we can never develop our friendship on the proper lines. The next time we all come together, the best thing we can do will be to form a brotherhood, and ever afterwards we shall be able to count upon receiving assistance, if we need any.”
“I have nothing against this brotherhood idea,” Yueniang said, “though I have no doubt whatever that the others will get more assistance out of you than you are ever likely to get out of them. They will be as much use to you as dancing dolls, and not half so lively.”
Ximen Qing laughed. “If I find, by experience, that they are to be trusted, why shouldn’t I trust them? As a matter of fact, I’m expecting Brother Ying any moment. When he comes, I’ll see what he thinks of the idea.”
At that moment an intelligent-looking boy with delicate eyebrows and charming eyes came in. This was Daian, Ximen Qing’s body servant.
“Uncle Ying and Uncle Xie are outside,” he said. “They would like to speak to you.”
“I was just talking about them,” Ximen said. He hastened to the hall.
Ying Bojue was dressed in a new black hat and a shabby blue silk gown. He was sitting in the place of honor with Xie Xida opposite. When Ximen Qing came in, they both jumped up and saluted him with great deference. “We are glad to find you at home, Brother,” they said. “We have not seen you for some time.” Ximen asked them to sit down, and called for tea.
“You are a nice pair,” he told them. “I have had a very anxious time lately. I could not leave the house, but I haven’t seen even so much as your shadows.”
“What did I say?” Bojue cried. “I knew our brother would be annoyed!”
Then he turned to Ximen Qing. “I am not surprised that you are angry with us, but, really, I have been so busy that I haven’t known what to do. It is all very well for you to give your orders, but it is not so easy for me to carry them out.”
“Where have you been, these last few days?” Ximen asked them. “Yesterday, I went to the Li’s to see a young lady called Li Guijie. She is Li Guiqing’s younger sister, a niece of your Second Lady. I hadn’t seen her for some time, and I must say she has become a very pretty girl. There’s no telling what she will be like in the future. Her mother urged me to find a handsome young man to make a woman of her.
Really, you yourself would not find her too bad.”
“If she is so attractive,” Ximen said, “I must go and have a look at her.”
“Brother,” said Xie Xida, “if you don’t trust him, you can at least take my word for it.”
“Well,” said Ximen, “that accounts for yesterday, but what about the day before?”
“A little time ago, our friend Bu Zhidao died, and I have had to spend several days at his house in connection with the funeral arrangements. His wife asked me to tell you how grateful she is for the incense and things you sent her. Her place is so small and the only entertainment she can offer so unworthy, that she did not venture to invite you to the funeral.”
“Alas!” Ximen Qing said, “it seems only a few days since I first heard he was ill. I never thought he would die so soon. He once made me a present of a gilded fan, and I was thinking of giving him something in return. Then I heard of his death.”
Xie Xida sighed. “Once there were ten of us, now one has gone. By the way, the third of next month is the day for our meeting. We shall be troubling His Lordship to spend some small sum on the day’s amusement.”
“I have just been telling my wife,” Ximen said, “that these meetings, at which we do nothing but eat and drink, do not represent the essential element in our friendship. We ought to decide upon some temple, have an appropriate document drawn up, and band ourselves into a definite brotherhood. Then we shall be pledged to help one another ever afterwards. When the day comes, I will buy the three offerings needed for the sacrifice. I presume you will all be ready to give something towards the expenses, each according to his means. I do not insist on this, but it seems to me that, since we are forming a brotherhood, it will be much more satisfactory if every brother makes some little contribution.”
“Certainly, Brother,” Ying Bojue said hastily. “A man who never says his own prayers cannot expect to get credit for the incense his wife burns. We must all do something to show that we are in earnest, but I’m afraid we’re rather like the warts on a rat’s tail, there is not much to be got out of us.”
“Oh, you funny dog,” Ximen said, laughing. “Nobody expects you to give very much.”
“If the brotherhood is to be complete,” Xie Xida said, “there should be ten of us. Brother Bu Zhidao is dead. Whom can we find to take his place?”
Ximen Qing thought for a while. Then he said: “My neighbor, Brother Hua, the nephew of Eunuch Hua, is the very man. He spends his money without stint, and goes regularly to the bawdy house. He lives next door, and we are very good friends. I will send a boy to invite him to join us.”
Bojue clapped his hands. “Do you mean Hua Zixu, who keeps a girl called Wu Yin’er?”
“That is the man,” Ximen Qing said.
“Ask him by all means,” Bojue said.
“If I can only make friends with him, it will mean another house of call for me.”
“You silly rascal,” Ximen said, laughing. “To hear you talk about eating, one would imagine you were always on the point of starvation.”
They all laughed. After a while, Ximen called Daian, and sent him to Hua’s house. “Tell him that we are going to form a brotherhood on the third of next month, and that I shall be honored if he will join us. When you have heard what he says, come back and tell me.”
“Shall we come here, or go to a temple?” Bojue asked.
“There are only two temples to go to,” Xie Xida said. “One is the Buddhist temple of Eternal Felicity, and the other, the Daoist temple of the Jade Emperor. Either of them would do.”
“Not at all,” Ximen said. “This forming of a brotherhood is not a Buddhist practice, and, in any case, I don’t know the priests of that temple very well. We must go to the Temple of the Jade Emperor. The abbot, Wu, is a good friend of mine; it is quiet there and we shall have room enough.”
“You are right, Brother,” Bojue said. “He only suggested the temple of Eternal Felicity because the monks there are on such good terms with his wife.”
“You old villain,” Xie Xida said, laughing. “Here we are, discussing a most serious matter, and you think it a suitable occasion to fart.”
They were laughing and talking when Daian came back. “Master Hua was not at home,” he said, “but I gave the message to his lady. She was very pleased. ‘If Uncle Ximen is so kind as to invite my husband,’ she said, ‘I am sure he will not fail to come. He shall have the message as soon as he comes in, and when the day for the meeting comes, I will remind him.’ She gave me two cakes for myself, and told me to give you her respects.”
“Brother Hua’s wife,” Ximen said, “is not only a very pretty woman, but she has intelligence.”
They drank another cup of tea, and the two men rose to go. “We will tell the other brothers,” they said, “and collect their share of the expenses. Will you make the arrangements with Abbot Wu?”
“Yes,” Ximen Qing said, “I’ll see to that. Don’t let me keep you any longer.” He took them to the gate.
Before they had gone very far, Ying Bojue turned. “Don’t you think it would be fun if we had some singing girls?”
“Yes, indeed,” Ximen said, “it will be more amusing if the brothers have someone to laugh and joke with.”
Bojue made a reverence and went away with Xie Xida.
话说西门庆一日在家闲坐,对吴月娘说道:「如今是九月廿五日了,出月初三日,却是我兄弟们的会期。到那日也少不的要整两席齐整的酒席,叫两个唱的姐儿,自恁在咱家与兄弟们好生玩耍一日。你与我料理料理。」吴月娘便道:「你也便别要说起这干人,那一个是那有良心和行货!无过每日来勾使的游魂撞尸。我看你自搭了这起人,几时曾有个家哩!现今卓二姐自恁不好,我劝你把那酒也少要吃了。」西门庆道:「你别的话倒也中听。今日这些说话,我却有些不耐烦听他。依你说,这些兄弟们没有好人,使着他,没有一个不依顺的,做事又十分停当,就是那谢子纯这个人,也不失为个伶俐能事的好人。咱如今是这等计较罢,只管恁会来会去,终不着个切实。咱不如到了会期,都结拜了兄弟罢,明日也有个靠傍些。」吴月娘接过来道:「结拜兄弟也好。只怕后日还是别个靠你的多哩。若要你去靠人,提傀儡儿上戏场──还少一口气儿哩。」西门庆笑道:「自恁长把人靠得着,却不更好了。咱只等应二哥来,与他说这话罢。」
正说着话,只见一个小厮儿,生得眉清目秀,伶俐乖觉,原是西门庆贴身伏侍的,唤名玳安儿,走到面前来说:「应二叔和谢大叔在外见爹说话哩。」西门庆道:「我正说他,他却两个就来了。」一面走到厅上来,只见应伯爵头上戴一顶新盔的玄罗帽儿,身上穿一件半新不旧的天青夹绉纱褶子,脚下丝鞋净袜,坐在上首。下首坐的,便是姓谢的谢希大。见西门庆出来,一齐立起身来,边忙作揖道:「哥在家,连日少看。」西门庆让他坐下,一面唤茶来吃,说道:「你们好人儿,这几日我心里不耐烦,不出来走跳,你们通不来傍个影儿。」伯爵向希大道:「何如?我说哥哥要说哩。」因对西门庆道:「哥,你怪的是。连咱自也不知道成日忙些什么!自咱们这两只脚,还赶不上一张嘴哩。」西门庆因问道:「你这两日在那里来?」伯爵道:「昨日在院中李家瞧了个孩子儿,就是哥这边二嫂子的侄女儿桂卿的妹子,叫做桂姐儿。几时儿不见他,就出落的好不标致了。到明日成人的时候,还不知怎的样好哩!昨日他妈再三向我说:『二爹,千万寻个好子弟梳笼他。』敢怕明日还是哥的货儿哩。」西门庆道:「有这等事!等咱空闲了去瞧瞧。」谢希大接过来道:「哥不信,委的生得十分颜色。」西门庆道:「昨日便在他家,前几日却在那里去来?」伯爵道:「便是前日卜志道兄弟死了,咱在他家帮着乱了几日,发送他出门。他嫂子再三向我说,叫我拜上哥,承哥这里送了香楮奠礼去,因他没有宽转地方儿,晚夕又没甚好酒席,不好请哥坐的,甚是过不意去。」西门庆道:「便是我闻得他不好得没多日子,就这等死了。我前日承他送我一把真金川扇儿,我正要拿甚答谢答谢,不想他又作了故人!」
谢希大便叹了一口气道:「咱会中兄弟十人,却又少他一个了。」因向伯爵说:「出月初三日,又是会期,咱每少不得又要烦大官人这里破费,兄弟们顽耍一日哩。」西门庆便道:「正是,我刚纔正对房下说来,咱兄弟们似这等会来会去,无过只是吃酒顽耍,不着一个切实,倒不如寻一个寺院里,写上一个疏头,结拜做了兄弟,到后日彼此扶持,有个傍靠。到那日,咱少不得要破些银子,买办三牲,众兄弟也便随多少各出些分资。不是我科派你们,这结拜的事,各人出些,也见些情分。」伯爵连忙道:「哥说的是。婆儿烧香当不的老子念佛,各自要尽自的心。只是俺众人们,老鼠尾巴生疮儿──有脓也不多。」西门庆笑道:「怪狗才,谁要你多来!你说这话。」谢希大道:「结拜须得十个方好。如今卜志道兄弟没了,却教谁补?」西门庆沉吟了一回,说道:「咱这间壁花二哥,原是花太监侄儿,手里肯使一股滥钱,常在院中走动。他家后边院子与咱家只隔着一层壁儿,与我甚说得来,咱不如叫小厮邀他邀去。」应伯爵拍着手道:「敢就是在院中包着吴银儿的花子虚么?」西门庆道:「正是他!」伯爵笑道:「哥,快叫那个大官儿邀他去。与他往来了,咱到日后,敢又有一个酒碗儿。」西门庆笑道:「傻花子,你敢害馋痨痞哩,说着的是吃。」大家笑了一回。西门庆旋叫过玳安儿来说:「你到间壁花家去,对你花二爹说,如此这般:『俺爹到了出月初三日,要结拜十兄弟,敢叫我请二爹上会哩。』看他怎的说,你就来回我话。你二爹若不在家,就对他二娘说罢。」玳安儿应诺去了。伯爵便道:「到那日还在哥这里是,还在寺院里好?」希大道:「咱这里无过只两个寺院,僧家便是永福寺,道家便是玉皇庙。这两个去处,随分那里去罢。」西门庆道:「这结拜的事,不是僧家管的,那寺里和尚,我又不熟,倒不如玉皇庙吴道官与我相熟,他那里又宽展又幽静。」伯爵接过来道:「哥说的是,敢是永福寺和尚倒和谢家嫂子相好,故要荐与他去的。」希大笑骂道:「老花子,一件正事,说说就放出屁来了。」
正说笑间,只见玳安儿转来了,因对西门庆说道:“他二爹不在家,俺对他二娘说来。二娘听了,好不欢喜,说道:‘既是你西门爹携带你二爹做兄弟,那有个不来的。等来家我与他说,至期以定撺掇他来,多拜上爹。’又与了小的两件茶食来了。”西门庆对应、谢二人道:“自这花二哥,倒好个伶俐标致娘子儿。”说毕,又拿一盏茶吃了,二人一齐起身道:“哥,别了罢,咱好去通知众兄弟,纠他分资来。哥这里先去与吴道官说声。”西门庆道:“我知道了,我也不留你罢。”于是一齐送出大门来。应伯爵走了几步,回转来道:“那日可要叫唱的?”西门庆道:“这也罢了,弟兄们说说笑笑,到有趣些。”说毕,伯爵举手,和希大一路去了。

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-3 03:21:20 | 显示全部楼层
CHAPTER 1 (Part 3)
It was soon the first day of the tenth month. Ximen Qing rose early and was sitting in Yueniang’s room when there came a serving boy whose hair had been dressed in grown-up style.
He brought with him a gilded and polished card case. First he made a reverence to Ximen Qing; then he came forward and said: “My master, Hua Zixu, sends his compliments. Some time ago you sent your servant with an invitation, but he was out on business and did not personally receive the message. He was told that you are arranging a party on the third of the month, and has sent this small gift, which he trusts you will use as you think fit. Afterwards he hopes you will tell him what his proper share of the expenses amounts to, and he will make up what is lacking.”
Ximen Qing took the packet, examined the label upon it, and wrote a receipt for one tael of silver. “This is more than enough,” he said; “your master must certainly not send any more. Remind him to keep the day free. He will have to get up very early so as to be ready to go to the temple with the rest of us.”
When the boy was going away, Yueniang asked him to wait a moment. She told Yuxiao, the elder of her two maids, to give him two pieces of fruit-cake.
“This is instead of tea,” she said to him. “When you get home, give my kind regards to your mistress, and tell her that one of these days I am going to ask her to come and have a talk with me.” The boy took the cakes, made another reverence, and went out.
A few moments later, Ying Bao, Ying Bojue’s boy, came. He, too, was carrying a visiting case. Daian introduced him. “My father has collected these presents from the others,” he said, “and hopes you will accept them.” Ximen Qing looked at the packets, saw that there were eight in all, and handed them to his wife without opening them. “Use them,” he said to her, “to buy something for our visit to the temple.” He dismissed Ying Bao.
Soon afterwards he got up and went to see his third wife, who was ill, but he had only just reached her room and sat down when Yuxiao came to tell him that her mistress would like to speak to him again. “Why didn’t she say all she had to say before?” Ximen Qing said. He got up and went back to her, finding her with all the packets opened and spread out before her.
“Look here!” she said, laughing. “Ying sends a qian and two fen of bad silver, and the rest, three or five fen apiece. Judging by the color, some red, some yellow, it might be gold.
Certainly, I’ve never seen anything like it in this house before. If you accept it, our reputation will be gone forever. You must send it back at once.”
“What a fuss about nothing!” Ximen said. “This is all right. Don’t let me hear any more about it.” He went out.
The next day, he weighed four taels of silver and told his servant Laixing to buy a pig, a sheep, five or six jars of Jinhua wine, some chickens and ducks, candles and paper offerings.
He put five qian in an envelope and told his man Laibao to take it and the other things, and go with Daian and Laixing to the temple of the Jade Emperor. They were to say to the abbot: “Tomorrow, our master proposes to form a solemn brotherhood, and he takes the liberty of asking you to compose an address suitable to the occasion. He would like to take dinner at your temple in the evening, and would be very grateful if you would make the necessary preparations. He will arrive in the morning.”
Daian soon returned. He said that he had given the message, and that the abbot agreed.
The day soon passed. The next morning, Ximen Qing washed and dressed, and told Daian to go and ask Hua Zixu to come for breakfast before they joined the others on the expedition to the temple. Soon afterwards, Ying Bojue and the others arrived. They came in, and forming a circle, made reverence together.
“It is time to start,” Bojue cried.
“No, breakfast first,” Ximen Qing said.
He called for tea and refreshments.
Afterwards, he changed his clothes for brighter and more handsome attire, and they all set out together for the temple of the Jade Emperor.
Before they had gone very far, they could see the temple gateway. It was lofty and imposing, but the sanctuary, with walls reaching almost to the skies, was more commanding still. It was approached by a gate in the shape of the character ba, covered with a red wash. Within the precincts were three paths, like the character chuan. The buildings were of marble with wave-like markings. The sanctuary, its lofty eaves glittering in green and gold, was in the center. Images of the Three Pure Holy Ones stood in due order in the middle, and at the far end was Laozi, the Old Lord of the Most High, riding upon his black ox.
They entered the second sanctuary, went around, and passing through a side door, came to the abbot’s quarters. On either hand grew grasses as green as jasper and flowers as red as coral. There were pine trees and bamboos. On either side of the door hung scrolls. One bore the inscription: “In Paradise, unending are the months, the years,” and the other, “In the Vessel of Heaven there lies another world.”

话休饶舌,捻指过了四五日,却是十月初一日。西门庆早起,刚在月娘房里坐的,只见一个才留头的小厮儿,手里拿着个描金退光拜匣,走将进来,向西门庆磕了一个头儿,立起来站在旁边说道:“俺是花家,俺爹多拜上西门爹。那日西门爹这边叫大官儿请俺爹去,俺爹有事出门了,不曾当面领教的。闻得爹这边是初三日上会,俺爹特使小的先送这些分资来,说爹这边胡乱先用着,等明日爹这里用过多少派开,该俺爹多少,再补过来便了。”西门庆拿起封袋一看,签上写着“分资一两”,便道:“多了,不消补的。到后日叫爹莫往那去,起早就要同众爹上庙去。”那小厮儿应道:“小的知道。”刚待转身,被吴月娘唤住,叫大丫头玉箫在食箩里拣了两件蒸酥果馅儿与他。因说道:“这是与你当茶的。你到家拜上你家娘,你说西门大娘说,迟几日还要请娘过去坐半日儿哩。”那小厮接了,又磕了一个头儿,应着去了。
西门庆才打发花家小厮出门,只见应伯爵家应宝夹着个拜匣,玳安儿引他进来见了,磕了头,说道:“俺爹纠了众爹们分资,叫小的送来,爹请收了。”西门庆取出来看,共总八封,也不拆看,都交与月娘,道:“你收了,到明日上庙,好凑着买东西。”说毕,打发应宝去了。立起身到那边看卓二姐。刚走到坐下,只见玉箫走来,说道:“娘请爹说话哩。”西门庆道:“怎的起先不说来?”随即又到上房,看见月娘摊着些纸包在面前,指着笑道:“你看这些分子,止有应二的是一钱二分八成银子,其余也有三分的,也有五分的,都是些红的黄的,倒象金子一般。咱家也曾没见这银子来,收他的也污个名,不如掠还他罢。”西门庆道:“你也耐烦,丢着罢,咱多的也包补,在乎这些!”说着一直往前去了。
到了次日初二日,西门庆称出四两银子,叫家人来兴儿买了一口猪、一口羊、五六坛金华酒和香烛纸札、鸡鸭案酒之物,又封了五钱银子,旋叫了大家人来保和玳安儿、来兴三个:“送到玉皇庙去,对你吴师父说:‘俺爹明日结拜兄弟,要劳师父做纸疏辞,晚夕就在师父这里散福。烦师父与俺爹预备预备,俺爹明早便来。’” 只见玳安儿去了一会,来回说:“已送去了,吴师父说知道了。”
须臾,过了初二,次日初三早,西门庆起来梳洗毕,叫玳安儿:“你去请花二爹,到咱这里吃早饭,一同好上庙去。一发到应二叔家,叫他催催众人。”玳安应诺去,刚请花子虚到来,只见应伯爵和一班兄弟也来了,却正是前头所说的这几个人。为头的便是应伯爵,谢希大、孙天化、祝念实、吴典恩、云理守、常峙节、白赉光,连西门庆、花子虚共成十个。进门来一齐箩圈作了一个揖。伯爵道:“咱时候好去了。”西门庆道:“也等吃了早饭着。”便叫:“拿茶来。”一面叫:“看菜儿。”须臾,吃毕早饭,西门庆换了一身衣服,打选衣帽光鲜,一齐径往玉皇庙来。
不到数里之遥,早望见那座庙门,造得甚是雄峻。但见:
  殿宇嵯峨,宫墙高耸。正面前起着一座墙门八字,一带都粉赭色红泥;进里边列着三条甬道川纹,四方都砌水痕白石。正殿上金碧辉煌,两廊下檐阿峻峭。三清圣祖庄严宝相列中央,太上老君背倚青牛居后殿。
进入第二重殿后,转过一重侧门,却是吴道官的道院。进的门来,两下都是些瑶草琪花,苍松翠竹。西门庆抬头一看,只见两边门楹上贴着一副对联道:
  洞府无穷岁月,壶天别有乾坤。

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-3 03:26:19 | 显示全部楼层
CHAPTER 1 (Part 4)
On the north was a hall the size of three rooms, where the abbot officiated every day at morning and evening prayer.
The temple had been specially decorated for the occasion. In the middle of the north wall hung a picture of the Jade Emperor in the Golden Palace of Paradise, and on both sides were the nobles of the Purple Palace. The four generals, Ma, Zhao, Wen and Guan were there too.
Abbot Wu was standing outside the Hall of the Sacred Scriptures. He welcomed them with a priestly reverence, and Ximen Qing and his friends went in. After taking tea, they all got up and began to look at the pictures. Bai Laiguang took Chang Zhijie by the hand, and they examined the portrait of General Ma. He looked very brave and fierce, but he had three eyes. “I don’t understand this,” Bai Laiguang said. “We mortals find that with only two eyes it is well to keep one closed. Can he need an extra eye to keep a watch on us and on our misdeeds?”
Ying Bojue overheard him and went over to them. “You silly fellow,” he said. “It is on your account alone that he needs an eye more than anybody else.”
Everybody laughed, and Chang Zhijie pointed to the picture of General Wen.
“Now here,” he said, “there really is something out of the ordinary. He is blue from top to toe. I suppose he must be one of Lu Qi’s ancestors.”
Bojue burst out laughing. “Come over here, Father Abbot,” he cried, “and I’ll tell you a story. “Once upon a time, a priest died and came before the Prince of Hades. The Prince bade him give an account of himself. ‘I am a priest,’ he said quite simply. Then the Prince ordered one of his officers to search the records and find out what was known of the man. They discovered that he was indeed a priest and a man of excellent character. So the Prince of Hades reprieved him and sent him back to earth.
“When he was once more in the land of the living, he met a man he knew, who worked at a dye works. ‘However did you succeed in getting back, Father?’ this man said to him. ‘I only said I was a priest and they sent me back again,’ his friend answered.
The man remembered this, and when his time came to go before the Prince of Hades, he too declared that he was a priest. The Prince told his officials to examine the man’s body. When they came to his hands, they found them both bright blue. ‘What does this mean?’ he was asked. ‘That comes from the work I have done on General Wen’s thing.’ “ They laughed. Then they went to the other side to look at the pictures of red-faced Guan and Zhao. Zhao was a black-faced warrior, with a great tiger standing beside him. Bai Laiguang pointed to the tiger, and cried: “Look at that tiger! He must be one of the kind that don’t eat meat, or he wouldn’t be going about with a man so amiably.”
“What!” said Ying Bojue. “Don’t you know the tiger is his most trusted servant?”
Xie Xida, who had been listening, said, “If I had a servant like that, a quarter of an hour of his company would be quite enough. I should always be afraid he might take it into his head to eat me.”
Bojue laughed: “That’s a nice thing to say,” he said to Ximen Qing.
“What’s that?” said Ximen.
“Well,” Bojue said, “Xie here says he would be afraid a trusted comrade might eat him. You certainly ought to go in fear of your life, for there are seven or eight of us, all trusted comrades, and all ready to feed at your expense at any time.”
At that moment the abbot came back to the hall. “Do I hear you speaking of tigers, Gentlemen?” he said. “In this very district of Qinghe, one has recently caused very serious trouble. Scores of travelers, and more than a dozen hunters, have found that to their cost.”
“Really?” Ximen Qing cried.
“Yes,” said the priest. “I am surprised you gentlemen have not heard about it. I should not have known myself, but a little while ago, one of my young novices went to ask alms at Master Cai’s house in Cangzhou, and he had to stay there several days before it was safe to return. Between Qinghe and Cangzhou there is a ridge called Jingyang, and it seems that a dragon-eyed, white-headed tiger has recently been making raids from there in search of human prey. Travelers have been afraid to pass the hill, and have had to form parties when they went that way. The local authorities are now offering a reward of fifty taels to anyone who kills the tiger, but so far, though several attempts have been made, they have all come to nothing. Indeed the hunters have been most unfortunate: they have had nothing but maulings for their pains.”
Bai Laiguang jumped up. “We are too busy today, since we have this brotherhood to form, but tomorrow we will go and catch the tiger. It will be one way of putting a little money in our pockets.”
“Evidently you don’t value your life very highly,” Ximen Qing said. The other laughed. “Let me get hold of something to spend, and I don’t care what happens.”
“That reminds me of another funny story,” Ying Bojue said. “Once a man fell into a tiger’s clutches, and his son, who wished to rescue him, took a knife and went to kill the beast. But the man, though the tiger had him actually in his jaws, cried out anxiously: ‘Son, mind where you stick that knife. For goodness’ sake, don’t spoil the tiger’s skin.’ “Abbot Wu was now preparing the offerings for sacrifice. When everything was ready, he came forward and said: “Gentlemen, it is time to burn the sacred papers.” Then he produced a document. “I have already written the address,” he said, “but I should be glad if you would tell me which of you is the elder brother and in what order I am to put the others. If you will kindly arrange yourselves in your due rank, I shall find it easier to write down your honorable names.”
At this there was a chorus: “His Lordship comes first, of course,” but Ximen Qing held back. “We should rank according to our age,” he said.
“Brother Ying is older than I am, and it is for him to take the first place.”
This was not at all what Ying Bojue wished. “Oh, no, Father!” he cried, I should be ruined. In these days, a man is judged by his wealth or by his position, and since there is no getting away from that, there is no point in taking age into consideration. Besides, there are others older than myself.
And there are many other reasons why I should not be made elder brother. Both in dignity and moral standing, I do not rank so high as his Lordship. He is a paragon to the whole world. Then again, I have always been called Ying the Second, and if I were made elder brother I should have to be called Ying the Elder. If I met two acquaintances, and one addressed me as Ying the Elder and the other as Ying the Second, I shouldn’t know which of them I ought to answer.”
Ximen Qing laughed. “You talk such nonsense, anybody might die of laughing,” he said. Xie Xida urged him not to decline, but Ximen continued modestly to prefer the others. Finally, after further pressure from Hua, Ying and the rest, he could hold out no longer and took the place of honor.
He was followed by Ying Bojue and Xie Xida, and Hua, out of respect for his wealth, was allotted the fourth place. The others arranged themselves in the lower positions. The abbot then filled up the document, lighted candles, and, with all the men standing shoulder to shoulder in their due order, the address was solemnly unfolded and read aloud.
IN THE EMPIRE OF THE GREAT SONG, THE PROVINCE OF SHANDONG, PREFECTURE OF DONGPING AND DISTRICT OF QINGHE The faithful, Ximen Qing, Ying Bojue, Xie Xida, Hua Zixu, Sun Tianhua, Zhu Shinian, Yun Lishou, Wu Dian’en, Chang Zhijie and Bai Laiguang, here assembled, do wash their hands and burn incense to ask a blessing.
The oath of fidelity sworn within the Peach Orchard is the model of all loyalty; with humble hearts we seek to take it as our example, and strive to emulate the spirit that inspired it.
The love of Bao and Guan was as the depth of the ocean, and animated by the same spirit, we hope to imitate their solemn purpose.
The peoples of the four oceans may yet be as brethren and they of different names as of the same blood.
Therefore In this period of Zhenghe—Year—Month—Day, devoutly offering meat offerings of pig and sheep before the phoenix chariot, we humbly bow before this holy altar and make our supplications.
We make our obeisance unto the Highest Heaven, where in a golden palace dwell the Jade Emperor, the Guardian Angels of the Five Directions, the Tutelaries of City and Village, and all the spirits who come and go.
We beseech them to accept the incense of our sincerity. May they deign to protect us in all our doings.
We, Qing, etc...., though born each at a different hour, pray that death may find us united. May the bond between us remain ever unbroken. Our pleasures will we take together, and in time of need will we succor one another. The memory of our friendship shall be ever green, and in our wealth will we remember the unfortunate. Thus, at the last, shall our confidence be confirmed: thus, coming with the sun and going with the moon, shall our fellowship be established as high as the heavens and as firm as the earth.
Henceforth, from this our solemn act of friendship, may our love be eternal and our peace unending. May each of us enjoy length of days, and his household unceasing felicity.
In Heaven alone do we place our trust, until our lives’ end. In token whereof, we diligently set this down.
REIGN PERIOD OF ZHENGHE.
YEAR.
MONTH .
DAY.
When the abbot had finished the reading of this declaration, the men worshipped, bowing together eight times before the shrine. One last time they bowed, and when the paper money had been consumed, the sacred utensils were removed. The abbot told his acolytes to remove the sacrificial animals and cut them up.
Chicken, fish and fruits of every kind were set out in profusion upon two tables. Ximen Qing took the seat of honor, and the rest seated themselves in accordance with their rank. The abbot presided over the feast. Soon the wine had been passed around several times, and the men began to amuse themselves telling riddles and guessing fingers, making the hall ring with noisy laughter.
They saw the sun rise in the distant east

They watched it set behind the mountains.
Deep have they drunk, and now unsteadily go forth

While o’er the trees there hangs the tiny crescent moon.

上面三间敞厅,却是吴道官朝夕做作功课的所在。当日铺设甚是齐整,上面挂的是昊天金阙玉皇上帝,两边列着的紫府星官,侧首挂着便是马、赵、温、关四大元帅。当下吴道官却又在经堂外躬身迎接。西门庆一起人进入里边,献茶已罢,众人都起身,四围观看。白赉光携着常峙节手儿,从左边看将过来,一到马元帅面前,见这元帅威风凛凛,相貌堂堂,面上画着三只眼睛,便叫常峙节道:“哥,这却是怎的说?如今世界,开只眼闭只眼儿便好,还经得多出只眼睛看人破绽哩!”应伯爵听见,走过来道:“呆兄弟,他多只眼儿看你倒不好么?”众人笑了。常峙节便指着下首温元帅道:“二哥,这个通身蓝的,却也古怪,敢怕是卢杞的祖宗。”伯爵笑着猛叫道:“吴先生你过来,我与你说个笑话儿。”那吴道官真个走过来听他。伯爵道:“一个道家死去,见了阎王,阎王问道:‘你是什么人?’道者说: ‘是道士。’阎王叫判官查他,果系道士,且无罪孽。这等放他还魂。只见道士转来,路上遇着一个染房中的博士,原认得的,那博士问道:‘师父,怎生得转来? ’道者说:‘我是道士,所以放我转来。’那博士记了,见阎王时也说是道士。那阎王叫查他身上,只见伸出两只手来是蓝的,问其何故。那博士打着宣科的声音道:‘曾与温元帅搔胞。’”说的众人大笑。一面又转过右首来,见下首供着个红脸的却是关帝。上首又是一个黑面的是赵元坛元帅,身边画着一个大老虎。白赉光指着道:“哥,你看这老虎,难道是吃素的,随着人不妨事么?”伯爵笑道:“你不知,这老虎是他一个亲随的伴当儿哩。”谢希大听得走过来,伸出舌头道:“这等一个伴当随着,我一刻也成不的。我不怕他要吃我么?”伯爵笑着向西门庆道:“这等亏他怎地过来!”西门庆道:“却怎的说?”伯爵道:“子纯一个要吃他的伴当随不的,似我们这等七八个要吃你的随你,却不吓死了你罢了。”说着,一齐正大笑时,吴道官走过来,说道:“官人们讲这老虎,只俺这清河县,这两日好不受这老虎的亏!往来的人也不知吃了多少,就是猎户,也害死了十来人。”西门庆问道:“是怎的来?”吴道官道:“官人们还不知道。不然我也不晓的,只因日前一个小徒,到沧州横海郡柴大官人那里去化些钱粮,整整住了五七日,才得过来。俺这清河县近着沧州路上,有一条景阳冈,冈上新近出了一个吊睛白额老虎,时常出来吃人。客商过往,好生难走,必须要成群结伙而过。如今县里现出着五十两赏钱,要拿他,白拿不得。可怜这些猎户,不知吃了多少限棒哩!”白赉光跳起来道:“咱今日结拜了,明日就去拿他,也得些银子使。”西门庆道:“你性命不值钱么?”白赉光笑道:“有了银子,要性命怎的!”众人齐笑起来。应伯爵道: “我再说个笑话你们听:一个人被虎衔了,他儿子要救他,拿刀去杀那虎。这人在虎口里叫道:‘儿子,你省可而的砍,怕砍坏了虎皮。’”说着众人哈哈大笑。
只见吴道官打点牲礼停当,来说道:“官人们烧纸罢。”一面取出疏纸来,说:“疏已写了,只是那位居长?那位居次?排列了,好等小道书写尊讳。”众人一齐道:“这自然是西门大官人居长。”西门庆道:“这还是叙齿,应二哥大如我,是应二哥居长。”伯爵伸着舌头道:“爷,可不折杀小人罢了!如今年时,只好叙些财势,那里好叙齿!若叙齿,这还有大如我的哩。且是我做大哥,有两件不妥:第一不如大官人有威有德,众兄弟都服你;第二我原叫做应二哥,如今居长,却又要叫应大哥,倘或有两个人来,一个叫‘应二哥’,一个叫‘应大哥’,我还是应‘应二哥’,应‘应大哥’呢?”西门庆笑道:“你这搊断肠子的,单有这些闲说的!”谢希大道:“哥,休推了。”西门庆再三谦让,被花子虚、应伯爵等一干人逼勒不过,只得做了大哥。第二便是应伯爵,第三谢希大,第四让花子虚有钱做了四哥。其余挨次排列。吴道官写完疏纸,于是点起香烛,众人依次排列。吴道官伸开疏纸朗声读道:
  维大宋国山东东平府清河县信士西门庆、应伯爵、谢希大、花子虚、孙天化、祝念实、云理守、吴典恩、常峙节、白赉光等,是日沐手焚香请旨。伏为桃园义重,众心仰慕而敢效其风;管鲍情深,各姓追维而欲同其志。况四海皆可兄弟,岂异姓不如骨肉?是以涓今政和年月日,营备猪羊牲礼,鸾驭金资,瑞叩斋坛,虔诚请祷,拜投昊天金阙玉皇上帝,五方值日功曹,本县城隍社令,过往一切神祗,仗此真香,普同鉴察。伏念庆等生虽异日,死冀同时,期盟言之永固;安乐与共,颠沛相扶,思缔结以常新。必富贵常念贫穷,乃始终有所依倚。情共日往以月来,谊若天高而地厚。伏愿自盟以后,相好无尤,更祈人人增有永之年,户户庆无疆之福。凡在时中,全叨覆庇,谨疏。  政和  年  月  日文疏
吴道官读毕,众人拜神已罢,依次又在神前交拜了八拜。然后送神,焚化钱纸,收下福礼去。不一时,吴道官又早叫人把猪羊卸开,鸡鱼果品之类整理停当,俱是大碗大盘摆下两桌,西门庆居于首席,其余依次而坐,吴道官侧席相陪。须臾,酒过数巡,众人猜枚行令,耍笑哄堂,不必细说。正是:
  才见扶桑日出,又看曦驭衔山。醉后倩人扶去,树梢新月弯弯。

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-3 03:30:45 | 显示全部楼层
CHAPTER 1 (Part 5)
In the midst of their enjoyment, Daian suddenly came in. He whispered to Ximen Qing, “Mother has sent me to take you home. She says the Third Lady has had a fainting fit, and you must not be late.” Ximen rose at once.
“I don’t wish to disturb the party, or to be the cause of its breaking up,” he said, “but my third wife is ill, and I am afraid I must leave you.”
“I go the same way as Brother Ximen,” said Hua Zixu. “We will go together.”
“If you two rich men both go away,” Ying Bojue cried, “how can we stay? Brother Hua, you really must not go.”
“There is no man in his house,” Ximen said. “We must go back together and set his wife’s mind at rest.”
“Just as I was coming away,” Daian said, “Mistress Hua was telling Tian Fu to saddle a horse and come here.”
At that moment the boy arrived. He went to Hua and said, “Your horse is here, and Mother would like you to return.”
Before leaving, they thanked Abbot Wu for his kindness, and saluted Ying Bojue and the others. “We are compelled to go now,” they said, “but you must stay and have a good time.”
They went out, jumped on their horses, and rode away. Those who remained were indeed so ravenous that they would have devoured Taishan without leaving a particle of earth. They lingered in the temple and drank deep, and there we may leave them.
When Ximen Qing reached home, he said good-bye to Hua Zixu, and went at once to ask Yueniang how his third wife was.
“I only said she was ill,” said Yueniang, “to get you away from those fellows. That is why I made Daian tell you that story. But in truth she has been steadily getting worse, and you ought to stay at home and devote a little of your time to her.”
Ximen went to the other side of the house to visit his third wife, and for a few days continued to pay her some attention.

饮酒热闹间,只见玳安儿来附西门庆耳边说道:“娘叫小的接爹来了,说三娘今日发昏哩,请爹早些家去。”西门庆随即立起来说道:“不是我摇席破座,委的我第三个小妾十分病重,咱先去休。”只见花子虚道:“咱与哥同路,咱两个一搭儿去罢。”伯爵道:“你两个财主的都去了,丢下俺们怎的!花二哥你再坐回去。”西门庆道:“他家无人,俺两个一搭里去的是,省和他嫂子疑心。”玳安儿道:“小的来时,二娘也叫天福儿备马来了。”只见一个小厮走近前,向子虚道:“马在这里,娘请爹家去哩。”于是二人一齐起身,向吴道官致谢打搅,与伯爵等举手道:“你们自在耍耍,我们去也。”说着出门上马去了。单留下这几个嚼倒泰山不谢土的,在庙流连痛饮不题。
却表西门庆到家,与花子虚别了进来,问吴月娘:“卓二姐怎的发昏来?”月娘道:“我说一个病人在家,恐怕你搭了这起人又缠到那里去了,故此叫玳安儿恁地说。只是一日日觉得重来,你也要在家看他的是。”西门庆听了,往那边去看,连日在家守着不题。

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-3 03:35:08 | 显示全部楼层
CHAPTER 1 (Part 6)
On the tenth day of the tenth month, when Ximen Qing had just dispatched a boy to summon the doctor, he was still in the hall when Ying Bojue came in, smiling. Ximen greeted him, and asked him to sit down.
“How is my sister-in-law?” Bojue asked.
“I’m afraid she will never get any better,” Ximen said, “it is very doubtful indeed whether anything can be done for her. What time did the party break up the other day?”
“Abbot Wu kept urging us to stay, and it was nearly the second watch before we left. I was very drunk. It was a good thing for you that you came home so early.”
“Have you had dinner yet?” Ximen Qing said.
Ying Bojue could not make up his mind whether to say “Yes” or “No,” so he asked Ximen to guess. “I should say you have.”
Ying politely put his hand before his mouth, laughed, and said, “You silly man, you’ve guessed wrong.”
“Well, if you haven’t, why didn’t you say so, you greedy beast?” Ximen said, laughing. “I can’t imagine what makes you such a donkey.” He told a servant to prepare a meal for Bojue and himself.
“I should have dined,” Bojue said, “but I have just heard a most extraordinary piece of news, and I had to come and tell you all about it. We can go and see for ourselves.”
“What is this marvelous piece of news?” said Ximen.
“You remember the abbot telling us about the tiger of Jingyang Ridge?” Bojue said. “Well, yesterday a man killed that tiger with his bare fists.”
“Don’t talk such nonsense,” Ximen said. “I don’t believe a word of it.”
“You say you don’t believe me, but wait till I’ve told you all about it,” Bojue went on, waving his arms and stamping his feet in his excitement. “The hero is a certain Wu Song, who some time ago got into trouble at Master Chai’s house, and had to run away. He fell ill, and, when he recovered, thought he would like to come and see his brother again. On the way here, he had to pass Jingyang Ridge. There he came upon the tiger and killed it with no weapons but his hands and feet.” Ying Bojue told this story in such minute detail that he might himself have been an eyewitness. Ximen Qing shook his head.
“In that case,” he said, “as soon as we have finished dinner, I’ll go with you and see what the tiger looks like.”
“Don’t let’s wait for dinner, or we may be too late,” said Bojue. “Let’s go to the High Street, and spend an hour or two in the tavern there.”
Laixing was setting the table, but his master told him not to trouble about the meal, and to ask Yueniang to have some clothes set out for him to wear.
In a few moments he had changed, and set off arm in arm with Bojue. In the street they ran into Xie Xida.
“Hullo, Brothers,” he said, laughing, “are you coming to see the man who killed the tiger?”
“We are,” said Ximen.
Xie Xida told them that the crowd was so great as to make the roadway almost impassable, and they went to a tavern overlooking the street. They had not long been there when they heard the sound of drums and gongs. The people were all craning their necks to see. Hunters, marching two by two, carrying their tasseled spears, went before the tiger’s body. It was so huge that four men could hardly carry it, and it looked like a great embroidered sack. Then, riding upon a splendid white charger, came the bold fellow who had killed it. Ximen Qing gazed at him, bit his nails, and said, “Just look at that man. He must have the strength of a hippopotamus, or he could never have vanquished that great beast.” They drank their wine and discussed the heroic deed.
Full seven feet tall is this majestic figure
A hero striking terror into all beholders
With stern and rugged face, and sparkling eyes that blaze like glittering stars
Clenched fists like sledgehammers.
If he but raise his foot, the tigers in their mountain lair feel their courage wane
One blow with that fist, and the great bear trembles in his lonely valley.
He wears a magic cap with silver flowers
And his long-sleeved gown is soaked with his victim’s blood.

却说光阴过隙,又早是十月初十外了。一日,西门庆正使小厮请太医诊视卓二姐病症,刚走到厅上,只见应伯爵笑嘻嘻走将进来。西门庆与他作了揖,让他坐了。伯爵道:“哥,嫂子病体如何?”西门庆道:“多分有些不起解,不知怎的好。”因问:“你们前日多咱时分才散?”伯爵道:“承吴道官再三苦留,散时也有二更多天气。咱醉的要不的,倒是哥早早来家的便益些。”西门庆因问道:“你吃了饭不曾?”伯爵不好说不曾吃,因说道:“哥,你试猜。”西门庆道:“你敢是吃了?”伯爵掩口道:“这等猜不着。”西门庆笑道:“怪狗才,不吃便说不曾吃,有这等张致的!”一面叫小厮:“看饭来,咱与二叔吃。”伯爵笑道:“不然咱也吃了来了,咱听得一件稀罕的事儿,来与哥说,要同哥去瞧瞧。”西门庆道:“甚么稀罕的?”伯爵道:“就是前日吴道官所说的景阳冈上那只大虫,昨日被一个人一顿拳头打死了。”西门庆道:“你又来胡说了,咱不信。”伯爵道:“哥,说也不信,你听着,等我细说。”于是手舞足蹈说道:“这个人有名有姓,姓武名松,排行第二。”先前怎的避难在柴大官人庄上,后来怎的害起病来,病好了又怎的要去寻他哥哥,过这景阳冈来,怎的遇了这虎,怎的怎的被他一顿拳脚打死了。一五一十说来,就象是亲见的一般,又象这只猛虎是他打的一般。说毕,西门庆摇着头儿道:“既恁的,咱与你吃了饭同去看来。”伯爵道:“哥,不吃罢,怕误过了。咱们倒不如大街上酒楼上去坐罢。”只见来兴儿来放桌儿,西门庆道:“对你娘说,叫别要看饭了,拿衣服来我穿。”
须臾,换了衣服,与伯爵手拉着手儿同步出来。路上撞着谢希大,笑道:“哥们,敢是来看打虎的么?”西门庆道:“正是。”谢希大道:“大街上好挨挤不开哩。”于是一同到临街一个大酒楼上坐下。不一时,只听得锣鸣鼓响,众人都一齐瞧看。只见一对对缨枪的猎户,摆将过来,后面便是那打死的老虎,好象锦布袋一般,四个人还抬不动。末后一匹大白马上,坐着一个壮士,就是那打虎的这个人。西门庆看了,咬着指头道:“你说这等一个人,若没有千百斤水牛般气力,怎能够动他一动儿。”这里三个儿饮酒评品,按下不题。
单表迎来的这个壮士怎生模样?但见:
  雄躯凛凛,七尺以上身材;阔面棱棱,二十四五年纪。双目直竖,远望处犹如两点明星;两手握来,近觑时好似一双铁碓。脚尖飞起,深山虎豹失精魂;拳手落时,穷谷熊罴皆丧魄。头戴着一顶万字头巾,上簪两朵银花;身穿着一领血腥衲袄,披着一方红锦。

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-3 03:43:57 | 显示全部楼层
CHAPTER 1 (Part 7)
This was the man of whom Ying Bojue had spoken. His home was in the district of Yanggu, and it was only because he had taken a sudden fancy to pay a visit to his elder brother that the opportunity of killing the tiger had come to him.
The magistrate had summoned the hero to his presence, and a host of people were waiting to see him arrive at the Town Hall. As Wu Song dismounted, the magistrate took his place in the Hall of Audience, and the people carried the great beast to the front of the Hall. His Honor was greatly impressed by the hero’s bearing, and reflected that a man must be strong indeed to kill such a tiger. He called Wu Song forward.
The hero paid his respects, and then told the story of his prowess so vividly that the officials were half paralyzed by fright. Then, in the Hall of Audience, the magistrate solemnly offered him three cups of wine, and from the public treasure that was stored there took fifty taels of silver.
“By your Honor’s leave,” said Wu Song, “I owe my victory over the tiger more to good fortune than to ability. I have no right to this reward. The hunters here have incurred your Honor’s displeasure on account of this same brute, and I shall be grateful if you will give them the silver rather than myself.”
“I will do so if you wish it,” said the magistrate, and the money was distributed among the hunters. Seeing that Wu Song was generous-hearted and honest as well as a hero, he thought it would be a good idea to offer him a position. “You are a native of Yanggu,” he said; “but that is not a great distance from here. I should like to offer you the appointment of captain of my police, and entrust to you the task of sweeping out the brigands that infest the neighborhood. What do you say?”
Wu Song knelt down. “I shall be eternally grateful to your Honor.” The magistrate called his secretary, told him to prepare the necessary papers, and they were sent forward the same day. The notabilities of the district all came to offer their congratulations, and there was feasting for several days.
So Wu Song, who had only thought of his desire to see his elder brother, secured the appointment of police captain in Qinghe. He was delighted with the way things had turned out, and in all the prefecture of Dongping there was none who did not know the name of Wu Song.
A hero this!
A mighty hunter
Who climbed the Jingyang Ridge with eager tread.
With strong wine firing his veins he slew the terror of the mountain
And now his fame is spread to every corner of the earth.

One day, as Wu Song was strolling along the street, he heard a voice behind him, crying: “Brother, Brother! Are you too proud to know me, now that you have become captain of the police?” He turned, and to his surprise, recognized the speaker. It was his brother Wu Da, the very man he had been hoping so long to meet.
During a period of severe famine the brothers had been compelled to separate. Wu Da had moved to Qinghe and taken a house in Amethyst Street. He was a simple-minded man, not impressive in appearance. In fact people called him sometimes Tom Thumb and sometimes Old Scraggy Bark. (This was because his body was deformed and his face pinched). The poor man was neither very strong nor very intelligent, so he became a constant butt for the wits of the neighborhood.
Wu Da had no established business, but scraped together a living by hawking baskets of cakes. His wife had died, leaving him with a little daughter, Ying’er, who was now about twelve years old. They lived alone together for some months, and then Wu Da fell into low water and removed to the house of a rich man named Zhang who lived in the High Street. Here he obtained a lodging of a single room. Zhang’s people found him a very honest fellow, and they did their best for him, and started him off selling cakes. When they had time to spare, they used to go to his little place, and he was very attentive to them. They all liked him and spoke well of him to their master, and he, in consequence, did not worry Wu Da for his rent.
This rich man Zhang was more than sixty years old. He was wealthy and prosperous, but he had no children.
His wife, a daughter of Master Yu, managed his household with a rod of iron, and he had no pretty maids to amuse him. He was always beating his breast, sighing and lamenting: “Here I am, aged and childless, and though perhaps I am not exactly poor, what use is all my wealth to me?”
“If you feel like that about it,” his wife said one day, “I will tell the go-between to buy a couple of girls for you. They can study, morning and night, and learn how to play and sing for your entertainment, and then perhaps you will feel better.”
At this, the rich man was delighted, and thanked his wife again and again.
Before long, she redeemed her promise, sent for the go-between, and the two girls were bought. One, surnamed Pan, was called Jinlian, and the other, whose surname was Bai, was called Yulian. Yulian was about sixteen years old, and had been born in a bawdy house. She was fair, clear-skinned, dainty, and intelligent.
Jinlian was the daughter of a certain Pan Cai who lived outside the South Gate. She was his sixth child, and had been given her name because she was very beautiful even as a child.
Her tightly bound feet were particularly charming. When her father died, her mother had been entirely without resources, and when she was only nine years old, she was sold to General Wang. In his house, she learned to play and sing, and, in her spare time, to read and write also. She was clever and industrious, and before she was twelve years old acquired a host of accomplishments.
She learned, for example, how to darken her eyes, powder her face, and rouge her lips, and she could play more than one musical instrument. Her needlework had not been neglected and she could read the characters in books. With her hair dressed in a braid, and wearing a simple gown, she made a very pretty picture.
When Jinlian was fifteen years old, General Wang died, and her mother sold her to Master Zhang for thirty taels of silver. She and Yulian were both given music lessons, but since she had had some previous experience, she did not find them very difficult. It was decided that she should play the lute and Yulian the zither. They shared the same room.
When the two girls first came to the house, their mistress was very kind and gave them gold and silver ornaments to make them look pretty.
Then Yulian died, and Jinlian was left alone. By this time she was eighteen years old and as beautiful as a peach flower. Her eyebrows were arched like the crescent moon. Many times Master Zhang hungered for a closer acquaintance, but, under the austere eye of his wife, no opportunity was forthcoming. One day, however, when the mistress of the house had gone to take wine with one of her neighbors, the rich man secretly summoned her to his room, and had his way with her.

这人不是别人,就是应伯爵说所阳谷县的武二郎。只为要来寻他哥子,不意中打死了这个猛虎,被知县迎请将来。众人看着他迎入县里。却说这时正值知县升堂,武松下马进去,扛着大虫在厅前。知县看了武松这般模样,心中自忖道:“不恁地,怎打得这个猛虎!”便唤武松上厅。参见毕,将打虎首尾诉说一遍。两边官吏都吓呆了。知县在厅上赐了三杯酒,将库中众土户出纳的赏钱五十两,赐与武松。武松禀道:“小人托赖相公福荫,偶然侥幸打死了这个大虫,非小人之能,如何敢受这些赏赐!众猎户因这畜生,受了相公许多责罚,何不就把赏给散与众人,也显得相公恩典。”知县道:“既是如此,任从壮士处分。”武松就把这五十两赏钱,在厅上散与众猎户傅去了。知县见他仁德忠厚,又是一条好汉,有心要抬举他,便道:“你虽是阳谷县人氏,与我这清河县只在咫尺。我今日就参你在我县里做个巡捕的都头,专在河东水西擒拿贼盗,你意下如何?”武松跪谢道:“若蒙恩相抬举,小人终身受赐。”知县随即唤押司立了文案,当日便参武松做了巡捕都头。众里长大户都来与武松作贺庆喜,连连吃了数日酒。正要回阳谷县去抓寻哥哥,不料又在清河县做了都头,却也欢喜。那时传得东平一府两县,皆知武松之名。正是:
  壮士英雄艺略芳,挺身直上景阳冈。醉来打死山中虎,自此声名播四方。
却说武松一日在街上闲行,只听背后一个人叫道:“兄弟,知县相公抬举你做了巡捕都头,怎不看顾我!”武松回头见了这人,不觉的──
  欣从额角眉边出,喜逐欢容笑口开。
这人不是别人,却是武松日常间要去寻他的嫡亲哥哥武大。却说武大自从兄弟分别之后,因时遭饥馑,搬移在清河县紫石街赁房居住。人见他为人懦弱,模样猥蕤,起了他个浑名叫做三寸丁谷树皮,俗语言其身上粗糙,头脸窄狭故也。只因他这般软弱朴实,多欺侮也。这也不在话下。且说武大无甚生意,终日挑担子出去街上卖炊饼度日,不幸把浑家故了,丢下个女孩儿,年方十二岁,名唤迎儿,爷儿两个过活。那消半年光景,又消折了资本,移在大街坊张大户家临街房居住。张宅家下人见他本分,常看顾他,照顾他依旧卖些炊饼。闲时在铺中坐地,武大无不奉承。因此张宅家下人个个都欢喜,在大户面前一力与他说方便。因此大户连房钱也不问武大要。
却说这张大户有万贯家财,百间房屋,年约六旬之上,身边寸男尺女皆无。妈妈余氏,主家严厉,房中并无清秀使女。只因大户时常拍胸叹气道:“我许大年纪,又无儿女,虽有几贯家财,终何大用。”妈妈道:“既然如此说,我叫媒人替你买两个使女,早晚习学弹唱,服侍你便了。”大户听了大喜,谢了妈妈。过了几时,妈妈果然叫媒人来,与大户买了两个使女,一个叫做潘金莲,一个唤做白玉莲。玉莲年方二八,乐户人家出身,生得白凈小巧。这潘金莲却是南门外潘裁的女儿,排行六姐。因他自幼生得有些姿色,缠得一双好小脚儿,所以就叫金莲。他父亲死了,做娘的度日不过,从九岁卖在王招宣府里,习学弹唱,闲常又教他读书写字。他本性机变伶俐,不过十二三,就会描眉画眼,傅粉施朱,品竹弹丝,女工针指,知书识字,梳一个缠髻儿,着一件扣身衫子,做张做致,乔模乔样。到十五岁的时节,王招宣死了,潘妈妈争将出来,三十两银子转卖于张大户家,与玉莲同时进门。大户教他习学弹唱,金莲原自会的,甚是省力。金莲学琵琶,玉莲学筝,这两个同房歇卧。主家婆余氏初时甚是抬举二人,与他金银首饰装束身子。后日不料白玉莲死了,止落下金莲一人,长成一十八岁,出落的脸衬桃花,眉弯新月。张大户每要收他,只碍主家婆厉害,不得到手。一日主家婆邻家赴席不在,大户暗把金莲唤至房中,遂收用了。正是:
  莫讶天台相见晚,刘郎还是老刘郎。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-4 06:21:46 | 显示全部楼层
CHAPTER 1 (Part 8)
Unhappily, after he had thus disported himself with Jinlian, all sorts of troubles came upon him. His nose ran, tears streamed from his eyes, and he could not hear. He had severe pains in the loins, and difficulty in making water. He had not long suffered from these complaints before his lady got to know his secret. She upbraided him for several days, and devised all manner of punishment for Jinlian. Master Zhang, though he knew he was doing something he ought not, secretly provided the girl with a trousseau, and looked about for a suitable man to whom to marry her. Everybody said, "Wu Da is a widower and a very honest fellow,"and it occurred to him that no one could be more desirable, for Wu Da lived in the same house, and there would be no need for him to lose sight of the young lady. So he married the girl to Wu Da without asking for anything in return. The marriage once celebrated, Zhang heaped kindnesses upon the bridegroom. If he needed money for the ingredients with which to make his buns, the rich man provided it, and when Wu Da went out with his baskets, the rich man, after making sure that there was no one about, would go to console Jinlian in her loneliness.
Wu Da could not help seeing that Zhang treated his wife as though she belonged to him, but he was not in a position to object. Master Zhang came in the morning and stayed until evening, until one day he was overcome by exhaustion and died on the spot. His wife had not been blind to all that was going on, and now, in a rage, she told her servants to turn Wu Da and his wife into the street.
The poor man went to Amethyst Street, and there rented a couple of rooms in a nobleman's house, and continued to sell his cakes.
It did not take Jinlian very long to discover that her husband was not much of a man. He was by no means a model of manly vigor, and she came to hate him with an intense hatred.
Never a day passed but she found some quarrel to pick with him, and she even cursed Master Zhang.
"There is no lack of men in the world," said she. "Why should he have married me to a thing like this? It is always the same. Drive him as hard as I will, he never does a stroke of work, and if I try to push him forward, he only goes backward. No matter how busy the day, he malingers and will not touch his tools.
I must have been a great sinner in my last existence to have been doomed to marry such a creature as this. My life is wretched indeed." And when she was quite alone, she sang this song:
This was an ill-made match.
A man I thought him; now I know that he is no true man.
I would not boast, but it is plain
The crow can ne'er be mated with the phoenix.
I am as gold deep buried in the ground
And he a lump of common brass
Who may not hope to stand beside my golden glory.
He is nothing but stupid clay.
Shall my jade body, lying in his arms, thrill him with ecstasy
As from a dunghill the dainty sesame springs?
How can I pass my days with him forever?
How can I suffer him so long as life shall last?
I, that am purest gold, can never rest upon a bed so vile.

Women, my dear readers, are all very much the same. If a girl is pretty and intelligent, all goes well so long as she marries a fine specimen of a man. But if her husband turns out a simple-minded sort of fellow like Wu Da, it does not matter how virtuous she may be, some degree of hatred will sooner or later affect her attitude to him. And we must remember that seldom do beautiful maidens succeed in finding handsome husbands. The man who has gold to sell never seems to meet the man who wishes to buy.
Every day, Wu Da took his baskets and went out to sell his cakes, returning only at sunset, and when the woman had rid herself of him, she used to sit beneath the blind, chewing melon seeds and pushing forward her tiny feet in the hope of attracting the attention of some young ne'er-do-well.
And, indeed, there was a constant stream of courtiers before the gate, who spoke in riddles and called out such remarks as: "What a pity that such a tasty piece of lamb should fall into a dog's mouth!"
They poured out smooth words like oil, till Wu Da came to the conclusion that Amethyst Street was no place to live, and decided to remove elsewhere.
But when he talked to his wife about the matter, she cried, "You low creature, you are nothing but a fool.
You take a wretched little place like this, and of course dishonorable fellows come and say whatever they think fit. The best thing you can do is to scrape together a few taels, find a decent house, and take a couple of rooms in it. Then perhaps we can live more respectably, and people will cease to treat us like dirt."
"Where am I to get the money from to take a house?" Wu Da said.
"You are not a baby, you lump of mud! Why can’t you? Are you going to allow your wife to be continually insulted in this way? If you have no money, take my hair ornaments and sell them, then buy a house with the proceeds. We can buy them back again sometime if we wish to."
Wu Da succeeded in getting together ten taels of silver, and took a place not very far from the Town Hall. It had four rooms on two floors, and there were two small courtyards. The whole place was very clean.

大户自从收用金莲之后,不觉身上添了四五件病症。端的那五件?第一腰便添疼,第二眼便添泪,第三耳便添聋,第四鼻便添涕,第五尿便添滴。自有了这几件病后,主家婆颇知其事,与大户嚷骂了数日,将金莲百般苦打。大户知道不容,却赌气倒赔了房奁,要寻嫁得一个相应的人家。大户家下人都说武大忠厚,见无妻小,又住着宅内房儿,堪可与他。这大户早晚还要看觑此女,因此不要武大一文钱,白白地嫁与他为妻。这武大自从娶了金莲,大户甚是看顾他。若武大没本钱做炊饼,大户私与他银两。武大若挑担儿出去,大户候无人,便踅入房中与金莲厮会。武大虽一时撞见,原是他的行货,不敢声言。朝来暮往,也有多时。忽一日大户得患阴寒病症,呜呼死了。主家婆察知其事,怒令家僮将金莲、武大实时赶出。武大故此遂寻了紫石街西王皇亲房子,赁内外两间居住,依旧卖炊饼。
原来这金莲自嫁武大,见他一味老实,人物猥琐,甚是憎嫌,常与他合气。报怨大户:“普天世界断生了男子,何故将我嫁与这样个货!每日牵着不走,打着倒退的,只是一味吃酒,着紧处却是锥钯也不动。奴端的那世里悔气,却嫁了他!是好苦也!”常无人处,唱个《山坡羊》为证:
  想当初,姻缘错配,奴把你当男儿汉看觑。不是奴自己夸奖,他乌鸦怎配鸾凤对!奴真金子埋在土里,他是块高号铜,怎与俺金色比!他本是块顽石,有甚福抱着我羊脂玉体!好似粪土上长出灵芝。奈何,随他怎样,到底奴心不美。听知:奴是块金砖,怎比泥土基!
看官听说:但凡世上妇女,若自己有几分颜色,所禀伶俐,配个好男子便罢了,若是武大这般,虽好杀也未免有几分憎嫌。自古佳人才子相配着的少,买金偏撞不着卖金的。
武大每日自挑担儿出去卖炊饼,到晚方归。那妇人每日打发武大出门,只在帘子下嗑瓜子儿,一径把那一对小金莲故露出来,勾引浮浪子弟,日逐在门前弹胡博词,撒谜语,叫唱:“一块好羊肉,如何落在狗嘴里?”油似滑的言语,无般不说出来。因此武大在紫石街又住不牢,要往别处搬移,与老婆商议。妇人道:“贼馄饨不晓事的,你赁人家房住,浅房浅屋,可知有小人罗唣!不如添几两银子,看相应的,典上他两间住,却也气概些,免受人欺侮。”武大道:“我那里有钱典房?”妇人道:“呸!浊才料,你是个男子汉,倒摆布不开,常交老娘受气。没有银子,把我的钗梳凑办了去,有何难处!过后有了再治不迟。”武大听老婆这般说,当下凑了十数两银子,典得县门前楼上下两层四间房屋居住。第二层是楼,两个小小院落,甚是干凈。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-4 06:25:13 | 显示全部楼层
CHAPTER 1 (Part 9)
When they had taken up their abode in West Street, he still continued to make a living by selling cakes.
Now, unexpectedly, he had come across his younger brother, and their hearts overflowed with joy. Wu Da at once invited his brother to go home with him, and took him upstairs to sit down. Then he called Jinlian to come and see Wu Song. "You remember,"he said, "the man who killed the tiger on Jingyang hill. He is none other than your brother, the son of the same mother as myself. He has just been appointed captain of police."
Jinlian made a reverence to her brother-in-law, and Wu Song knelt down to return her greeting. She would not allow this, and made him stand up, saying that such condescension on his part would embarrass her beyond measure. Wu Song, however, persisted, and for some time they carried on a polite dispute, until at last they both knelt and kowtowed down to one another.
Soon afterwards, the little Ying'er brought tea for the two men. Wu Song, realizing the seductive charm of his sister-in-law, modestly refrained from looking at her. Wu Da, who was anxious to offer his brother some entertainment, went downstairs to buy some wine and refreshments, and left his wife alone with Wu Song in the upper room.
Jinlian admired his manly qualities and the nobility of his bearing, remembering how he had killed the tiger, and thinking what immeasurable vigor he must have. She said to herself: "These two men are both the sons of one mother; why should my husband's body be so ill-shapen that he seems more like a ghost than a man? In which of my former lives did I so misbehave that I should be doomed to marry an object like him? Wu Song is strong and lusty. Why should I not invite him to make his home with us? He seems the very man for me." She smiled sweetly, and said, "Where are you living, Uncle? Who looks after you?"
"I have just been appointed captain of the police," Wu Song said, "and, as I have to be ready for duty at all times, I live near the Town Hall. Two soldiers wait upon me and cook for me."
"Why not come and live here?" the woman said. "It would be much pleasanter for you than living near the Town Hall with only those nasty dirty soldiers to look after you. If you come and live with us, you will find it much more convenient and, any time you want any little thing to eat or drink, I shall be only too glad to prepare it for you myself and it will be perfectly clean."
"It is very good of you to suggest it," said Wu Song.
"Perhaps your wife is living somewhere in the neighborhood," Jinlian said delicately. "I hope you will ask me to call on her."
"I have never married," said Wu Song.
Then Jinlian inquired politely how old he was, and when he told her he was twenty-eight, she remarked that he was three years older than herself.
Finally, she asked where he had been living.
"I have been at Cangzhou for more than a year. I didn’t know my brother had moved here, but thought he still lived at the old place."
"Ah," Jinlian said, "that is a long story. We had to come here because, ever since I married your brother, people have taken advantage of his excessive meekness and never ceased to insult us. If only he were as strong as you, Uncle, no one would dare to answer him back."
"My brother has always been a good steady fellow," said Wu Song, "not a good-for-nothing like me."
"Don’t be so absurd," the woman said, smiling. "There is an old saying that a man who has no spunk cannot long maintain his independence. I have some spirit myself, and I don’t care for the sort of man who lets you hit him without turning a hair, and spins round and round like a top the more you strike him."
"If my brother does not make trouble," Wu Song said, "it is because he wishes to spare you unhappiness."
They were still talking in the upper room when Wu Da came back with a host of things to eat, and set them down in the kitchen. He came to the foot of the stairs and called, "Wife, Wife, come down!"
"Where are your manners?" Jinlian cried. "Why do you call me down? There is no one except myself to entertain your brother."
"Please do not trouble about me," Wu Song said.
"Why don’t you go next door," the woman said, "and ask old woman Wang to come and get the dinner ready? That's what you ought to do."
Wu Da went off and asked the old woman to come. She busied herself, and when all was ready, took the food upstairs and set it on the table—fish, meat, fruit and cakes. The wine was heated, and Wu Da, having asked his wife to take the host's place, himself sat at the side and put his brother in the seat of honor. When they were all in their places, the wine was poured out. Wu Da himself heated it and served the other two. "Uncle," Jinlian said, as she took her cup, "please excuse our having made no special preparations for you. I am afraid this is very inferior wine."
"Please don’t say that," said Wu Song. "It is most kind of you to trouble about me at all."
While Wu Da busied himself with the heating of the wine, Jinlian, all smiles, and with the word "Uncle" continually upon her lips, kept saying, "Will you not have something tasty?" and, taking the choicest parts from different dishes, herself offered them to her brother-in-law.
Wu Song was a simple-hearted fellow and treated her like a sister, not knowing the sort of woman she was.
Cleverly enough, she assumed a modest air, and it never occurred to him that she was deliberately trying to seduce him. They sat together and drank several cups of wine, but she could not keep her eyes away from him, and this finally embarrassed him so much that he turned his head away. By this time, he had drunk much wine and, as he began to feel a little tipsy, he decided it was time to go and stood up to take his leave.
"What is your hurry?" Wu Da cried.
"Stay and have a little more to drink. You have nothing to do now."
"Thank you," said Wu Song politely, "but I shall see you both some other time."
They went downstairs with him, and as he was going out of the door, Jinlian cried, "Don’t forget to make arrangements to come here to live. If you don’t, the neighbors will have a very poor opinion of our hospitality. Brothers are not strangers, and your company will be a pleasure to us."
"It is very kind of you," Wu Song said. "I will bring my things here this very evening."
"We shall be waiting for you," the woman said.

武大自从搬到县西街上来,照旧卖炊饼过活,不想这日撞见自己嫡亲兄弟。当日兄弟相见,心中大喜。一面邀请到家中,让至楼上坐,房里唤出金莲来,与武松相见。因说道:“前日景阳冈上打死大虫的,便是你的小叔。今新充了都头,是我一母同胞兄弟。”那妇人叉手向前,便道:“叔叔万福。”武松施礼,倒身下拜。妇人扶住武松道:“叔叔请起,折杀奴家。”武松道:“嫂嫂受礼。”两个相让了一回,都平磕了头起来。少顷,小女迎儿拿茶,二人吃了。武松见妇人十分妖娆,只把头来低着。不多时,武大安排酒饭,款待武松。
说话中间,武大下楼买酒菜去了,丢下妇人,独自在楼上陪武松坐地。看了武松身材凛凛,相貌堂堂,又想他打死了那大虫,毕竟有千百斤气力。口中不说,心下思量道:“一母所生的兄弟,怎生我家那身不满尺的丁树,三分似人七分似鬼,奴那世里遭瘟撞着他来!如今看起武松这般人壮健,何不叫他搬来我家住?想这段姻缘却在这里了。”于是一面堆下笑来,问道:“叔叔你如今在那里居住?每日饭食谁人整理?”武松道:“武二新充了都头,逐日答应上司,别处住不方便,胡乱在县前寻了个下处,每日拨两个土兵伏侍做饭。”妇人道:“叔叔何不搬来家里住?省的在县前土兵服侍做饭腌臜。一家里住,早晚要些汤水吃时,也方便些。就是奴家亲自安排与叔叔吃,也干凈。”武松道:“深谢嫂嫂。”妇人又道:“莫不别处有婶婶?可请来厮会。”武松道:“武二并不曾婚娶。”妇人道:“叔叔青春多少?”武松道:“虚度二十八岁。”妇人道:“原来叔叔倒长奴三岁。叔叔今番从那里来?”武松道:“在沧州住了一年有余,只想哥哥在旧房居住,不道移在这里。”妇人道:“一言难尽。自从嫁得你哥哥,吃他忒善了,被人欺负,才到这里来。若是叔叔这般雄壮,谁敢道个不字!”武松道:“家兄从来本分,不似武松撒泼。”妇人笑道:“怎的颠倒说!常言:人无刚强,安身不长。奴家平生性快,看不上那三打不回头,四打和身转的”武松道:“家兄不惹祸,免得嫂嫂忧心。”二人在楼上一递一句的说。有诗为证:
  叔嫂萍踪得偶逢,娇娆偏逞秀仪容。私心便欲成欢会,暗把邪言钓武松。
话说金莲陪着武松正在楼上说话未了,只见武大买了些肉菜果饼归家。放在厨,走上楼来,叫道:「大嫂,你且下来则个。」那妇人应道:“你看那不晓事的!叔叔在此无人陪侍,却交我撇了下去。”武松道:“嫂嫂请方便。”妇人道:“何不去间壁请王干娘来安排?只是这般不见便。”武大便自去央了间壁王婆来。安排端正,都拿上楼来,摆在桌子上,无非是些鱼肉果菜点心之类。随即烫酒上来。武大叫妇人坐了主位,武松对席,武大打横。三人坐下,把酒来斟,武大筛酒在各人面前。那妇人拿起酒来道:“叔叔休怪,没甚管待,请杯儿水酒。”武松道:“感谢嫂嫂,休这般说。”武大只顾上下筛酒,那妇人笑容可掬,满口儿叫:“叔叔,怎的肉果儿也不拣一箸儿?”拣好的递将过来。武松是个直性的汉子,只把做亲嫂嫂相待。谁知这妇人是个使女出身,惯会小意儿。亦不想这妇人一片引人心。那妇人陪武松吃了几杯酒,一双眼只看着武松的身上。武松吃他看不过,只得倒低了头。吃了一歇,酒阑了,便起身。武大道:“二哥没事,再吃几杯儿去。”武松道: “生受,我再来望哥哥嫂嫂罢。”都送下楼来。出的门外,妇人便道:“叔叔是必上心搬来家里住,若是不搬来,俺两口儿也吃别人笑话。亲兄弟难比别人,与我们争口气,也是好处。”武松道:「既是嫂嫂厚意,今晚有行李便取来。」妇人道:「奴这里等候哩!」正是:
  满前野意无人识,几点碧桃春自开。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|桐木舟论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 13:15 , Processed in 0.060708 second(s), 21 queries .