桐木舟学英语人工智能

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
查看: 629|回复: 4

The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 3 The Old Procuress)

[复制链接]

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
发表于 2022-3-10 04:41:28 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 3 The Old Procuress) (Part 1)
Ximen Qing was desperately anxious to possess Pan Jinlian. He gave the old woman no peace.
"Stepmother," he said, "if you bring this business to a happy end, I will give you ten taels of silver."
"Sir," said the old woman, "you may have heard, perhaps, of setting a love snare. The expression implies much that is difficult and is, indeed, what is more commonly known as wife stealing. Before a man can set about this wife-stealing business with any prospect of success, five things are essential. He must be as handsome as Pan An. His member must be at least as large as a donkey's. He must be as rich as Deng Tong, and reasonably young. Finally, he must have plenty of time on his hands, and almost endless patience. If you are possessed of all these qualifications, you may think of going in for this sort of entertainment."
"I think I may say I do possess them all," Ximen Qing said. "I would not venture to compare my handsome figure with that of Pan An, but it will serve. Ever since I was a boy, I have played in the lowest and most unsavory haunts, and I must say I have succeeded in keeping a very fat turtle well content. I may not have as much money as Deng Tong, but have a good deal put away, certainly sufficient to live upon. As for my patience, I should never think of retaliating though I received four hundred blows. Finally, if I had not plenty of time to waste, you would not be seeing me here so often. Stepmother, do this for me, and you shall not be disappointed with your reward."
"There is one thing more, Sir," the old woman said. "You tell me that you possess the five essential qualifications, but I fear this too is indispensable."
"What do you mean?" Ximen Qing cried.
"Forgive my speaking plainly," the old woman said, "but when a man would run off with somebody else's wife, there are very considerable difficulties in the way. A man may spend almost his last penny, and still fail. He must go to the absolute limit. I happen to know that you particularly dislike parting with your money, and that is the difficulty."
"It shall be no difficulty in this case," Ximen said, "for I will do anything you suggest."
"Very well," the old woman said, "if you are really prepared to spend a few taels, I have a plan that should enable you to secure the lady."
Ximen would have liked to hear it, but the old woman said, with a laugh, "It is too late today, and time you went home. Come back in six months, or perhaps three, and we will see what we can do."
"Stepmother," said Ximen, "don't joke about it. Only do this for me and you shall have a really handsome present."
But the old woman laughed all the more.
"You certainly seem to be very keen," she said. "Nobody ever comes to say his prayers to me at the temple of Wu Cheng Wang, but my plan is as good and better than any that fellow Sun Wuzi could have made. He was able to turn girls into soldiers, but I could have captured eight out of ten of them. Let me tell you all I know about this woman. She comes of a poor family, but she is as clever as can be. She knows how to play and sing, her embroidery is excellent, and she is expert at many games. In fact, there is nothing she doesn't know. Her surname is Pan, and her personal name, Jinlian. Her father was Pan Cai, who used to live by the South Gate. Originally, she was sold to Master Zhang, and at his house she learned to sing and play. When Zhang was very old, he made a present of her to Wu Da. She does not go out very often and, when I am not busy, I go over to her place and get anything she happens to want. She always calls me Stepmother.
"These last few days, Wu Da has been going out early. If you wish to clinch the matter, you must buy some silk, one roll of blue, another of white, another of the finest white silk, and ten taels of good raw silk. Give them to me. I will go to her house to borrow a calendar, and ask her to tell me a day of good omen so that I can engage a dressmaker to come and make me some clothes. It may be that she will find a day for me, but not offer to come herself to make the clothes. In that case, there is nothing to be done. If she is very pleasant and says, 'Don't get a dressmaker. I will come and make the clothes for you,' that will be one to us. If I can persuade her to come here to sew, that will be another one to us. If she comes at noon, I will set out refreshments and invite her to have some. She may say, 'I am very sorry but I can't,' and go off home and, in that case, we shall have to give up. On the other hand, she may say nothing, but sit down and eat my lunch, and then we score again.
"You must not come tomorrow, but the day after. Put on your smartest clothes. Give a cough of warning, and then come to the door and call, 'How do you do, Stepmother? May I come in and have a cup of tea?' I will come out and ask you in. It is possible that, as soon as she sees you, she may want to go home, and, if she does, I cannot stop her. That will be the end. But if she stays where she is, we shall be four points to the good.
"When you sit down, I shall say to her, 'This is the gentleman who gave me the clothes. I can't tell you how grateful I am to him,' and I shall say all sorts of pretty things about your generosity. Then you will compliment her on her sewing. If she does not answer, we are done. If she does answer, and enters into conversation with you, our fifth point is gained.
"Then I shall say, 'Isn't this good lady kind to make my clothes for me?' and praise you both—you for giving me the money and her for making the clothes. I shall say, 'This lady is indeed good-hearted. I was lucky to be able to persuade her to come. Perhaps you would like to offer her some refreshment.' You will take some silver out of your pocket and ask me to go and buy something. If at that moment she decides to go, I can't hold her, and all is over. But, if she doesn't move, we shall have gained our sixth point.
"I shall take your silver and, as I go out, I shall say, 'I wonder if you would mind keeping this gentleman company?' She may jump up at that and, if she does so, I can't very well put my arms around her and hold her, but, if she doesn't, we shall have gained another point.
"When I come back with the things, I shall put them on the table and say, 'Lady, put the clothes aside for a while and let us drink a little wine. This gentleman has been good enough to spend his money on us.' If she will not join us, but takes her leave, the matter is ended. But if she says, 'Oh, really I can't stay,' but does not make any effort to go, the eighth point is ours.
"If she drinks her wine contentedly and begins to talk to you, I shall say, 'There is not enough wine,' and you will ask me to buy some more, and some fruits too, and give me silver for the purpose. Then I shall shut the door upon you both. If she is shy and tries to run away, we can do no more. But if she lets me fasten the door and does not get angry, we are within an ace of our goal. The last stage is the critical one. You, Sir, will stay in the room with the woman and talk prettily to her, but you must not be too rough when you begin to take liberties. If you touch her, and spoil the whole game, it will not be my fault. But it is possible that you might knock down a pair of chopsticks with your sleeve, and touch her foot when you pretend to pick them up. If this makes her angry, I shall come in and make peace between you, but all our chances will be gone and we can never hope to retrieve the position. If she says nothing, we gain our tenth point, and the game is ours. If I lead you to victory, what reward may I expect?"

第三回 定挨光王婆受贿 设圈套浪子私挑
诗曰:
  乍对不相识,徐思似有情。杯前交一面,花底恋双睛。   傞俹惊新态,含胡问旧名。影含今夜烛,心意几交横。
话说西门庆央王婆,一心要会那雌儿一面,便道:“干娘,你端的与我说这件事成,我便送十两银子与你。”王婆道:“大官人,你听我说:但凡‘挨光’的两个字最难。怎的是‘挨光’?比如如今俗呼‘偷情’就是了。要五件事俱全,方纔行的。第一要潘安的貌;第二要驴大行货;第三要邓通般有钱;第四要青春少小,就要绵里针一般软款忍耐;第五要闲工夫。此五件,唤做‘潘驴邓小闲’。都全了,此事便获得着。”西门庆道:“实不瞒你说,这这五件事我都有。第一件,我的貌虽比不得潘安,也充得过;第二件,我小时在三街两巷游串,也曾养得好大龟;第三,我家里也有几贯钱财,虽不及邓通,也颇得过日子;第四,我最忍耐;他便打我四百顿,休想我回他一拳;第五,我最有闲工夫,不然如何来得恁勤。干娘,你自作成,完备了时,我自重重谢你。”王婆道:“大官人,你说五件事都全,我知道还有一件事打搅,也多是成不得。”西门庆道:“且说,甚么一件事打搅?”王婆道:“大官人休怪老身直言,但凡挨光最难,十分,有使钱到九分九厘,也有难成处。我知你从来悭吝,不肯胡乱便使钱,只这件打搅。”西门庆道:“这个容易,我只听你言语便了。”王婆道:“若大官人肯使钱时,老身有一条妙计,须交大官人和这雌儿会一面。”西门庆道:“端的有甚妙计?”王婆笑道:“今日晚了,且回去,过半年三个月来商量。”西门庆央及道:“干娘,你休撒科!自作成我则个,恩有重报。”王婆笑哈哈道:“大官人却又慌了。老身这条计,虽然入不得武成王庙,端的强似孙武子教女兵,十捉八九着。今日实对你说了罢:这个雌儿来历,虽然微末出身,却倒百伶百俐,会一手好弹唱,针指女工,百家歌曲,双陆象棋,无所不知。小名叫做金莲,娘家姓潘,原是南门外潘裁的女儿,卖在张大户家学弹唱。后因大户年老,打发出来,不要武大一文钱,白白与了他为妻。这雌儿等闲不出来,老身无事常过去与他闲坐。他有事亦来请我理会,他也叫我做干娘。武大这两日出门早。大官人如干此事,便买一匹蓝绸、一匹白绸、一匹白绢,再用十两好绵,都把来与老身。老身却走过去问他借历日,央及他拣个好日期,叫个裁缝来做。他若见我这般说,拣了日期,不肯与我来做时,此事便休了;他若欢天喜地说:‘我替你做。’不要我叫裁缝,这光便有一分了。我便请得他来做,就替我缝,这光便二分了。他若来做时,午间我却安排些酒食点心请他吃。他若说不便当,定要将去家中做,此事便休了;他不言语吃了时,这光便有三分了。这一日你也莫来,直至第三日,晌午前后,你整整齐齐打扮了来,以咳嗽为号,你在门前叫道:‘怎的连日不见王干娘?我买盏茶吃。’我便出来请你入房里坐吃茶。他若见你便起身来,走了归去,难道我扯住他不成?此事便休了。他若见你入来,不动身时,这光便有四分了。坐下时,我便对雌儿说道:‘这个便是与我衣服施主的官人,亏杀他。’我便夸大官人许多好处,你便卖弄他针指。若是他不来兜揽答应时,此事便休了;他若口中答应与你说话时,这光便有五分了。我便道:‘却难为这位娘子与我作成出手做,亏杀你两施主,一个出钱,一个出力。不是老身路歧相央,难得这位娘子在这里,官人做个主人替娘子浇浇手。’你便取银子出来,央我买。若是他便走时,难道我扯住他?此事便休了。他若是不动身时,事务易成,这光便有六分了。我却拿银子,临出门时对他说:‘有劳娘子相待官人坐一坐。’他若起身走了家去,我终不成阻挡他?此事便休了。若是他不起身,又好了,这光便有七分了。待我买得东西提在桌子上,便说:‘娘子且收拾过生活去,且吃一杯儿酒,难得这官人坏钱。’他不肯和你同桌吃,去了,此事便休了。若是他不起身,此事又好了,这光便有八分了。待他吃得酒浓时,正说得入港,我便推道没了酒,再交你买,你便拿银子,又央我买酒去并果子来配酒。我把门拽上,关你两个在屋里。他若焦燥跑了归去时,此事便休了;他若由我拽上门,不焦躁时,这光便有九分,只欠一分了。只是这一分倒难。大官人你在房里,便着几句甜话儿说入去,却不可燥暴,便去动手动脚打搅了事,那时我不管你。你先把袖子向桌子上拂落一双箸下去,只推拾箸,将手去他脚上捏一捏。他若闹将起来,我自来搭救。此事便休了,再也难成。若是他不做声时,此事十分光了。这十分光做完备,你怎的谢我?”
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-10 04:59:03 | 显示全部楼层
The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 3 The Old Procuress) (Part 2)
Ximen Qing listened to all this, and was perfectly delighted. "Your plan may not come from the Ling Yan temple," he said, "but it is absolutely flawless."
"Don't forget those ten taels of silver," old woman Wang said.
"If I get but a single piece of orange peel," Ximen said, "I shall never forget the Dongting lake. But when do you propose to put this scheme into operation, Stepmother?"
"Come back this evening," the old woman said, "and you shall know. By this time Wu Da has gone out, and I will go over about the calendar and say my part. You send somebody with the silk as quickly as possible. Don't waste any time."
"I'll see to it at once," Ximen Qing cried. "You may count upon me absolutely." He went to the street to buy the three rolls of silk and the ten taels of raw silk, and told Daian to wrap them up and take them to the old woman. She received them with great satisfaction and sent the boy away.
When the silk had come, the old woman opened her back door and went across to Wu Da's house. Jinlian took her upstairs, and they sat down.
"Why have you not been to take tea in my poor house lately?" asked the old woman.
"I haven't been well these last few days," Jinlian replied, "and somehow I have not felt inclined to move."
"Have you a calendar in the house?" the old woman said. "I should like to see one. I wish to find a day favorable for making clothes."
"What clothes are you thinking of having made?"
"I am always suffering from something or another," the old woman said. "One of these days I shall find myself as high as the mountains and as deep as the ocean. And my son is not at home."
"Where has he been all this time?" Jinlian said.
"He went away with a stranger, and I have never had a word from him since. I worry about him all day long."
Jinlian asked how old the boy was, and when the old woman told her he was seventeen, she said, "Why don't you find him a wife? You would save yourself a great deal of work."
"You may well say that," the old woman said. "There never was a place so lonely as mine. I potter about, as best I can, and sometimes I do think I'll find a wife for him. When he comes home, I really must see about it. Day and night I have trouble with my breathing, and I cough till my body shakes as though it were being torn in pieces. And I can't sleep. I've come to the conclusion that it's time I was getting my funeral clothes together. Fortunately for me, there is a rich gentleman who often comes to have tea at my shop. When there is anybody ill at his place, he sends for me; I buy maids for him and see about marriages. He knows I am to be trusted; that I never neglect any little point, however unimportant it may seem to others. He has given me the material for a full set of funeral clothes, and all the trimmings too. I have had this stuff put away for more than a year and have done nothing with it. But this year I have not felt at all well, and as there is an extra month in it, and I am not very busy, I have taken my chance and I am going to have it made up at last. Unfortunately, all the dressmakers say they are too busy to come and make my clothes. You've no idea how ill all this anxiety makes me."
Jinlian listened to this long story, and smiled. "I'm afraid I can't make the clothes as well as they should be made, but I have nothing particular to do, and, if you like, I'll see what I can do for you."
The old lady smiled delightedly. "With your precious hands to make the things, even if I die, my poor old body will rejoice. I have always heard what a good needlewoman you are, but I have never dared to come and trouble you."
"Why should I not make them?" Jinlian said. "Anyhow, I've promised now, and I must do them for you. Take the calendar, and get someone to find an auspicious day. Then I'll begin."
"Do you think I don't know that you can read all the characters in the poems and the hundred dramas? Why should I take the calendar to anybody else?"
"I have never had any education," Jinlian said, with a smile.
"Oh, thank you, thank you," the old woman cried, handing her the calendar. Jinlian examined it, then she said, "Tomorrow is no good, and the day after that is no good either. We shall have to wait."
The old woman took the calendar and hung it on the wall. "If you are willing to do the work you yourself are my lucky star. I need not bother whether the day is lucky or not. Others have looked at the calendar and told me that tomorrow is not a good day for the purpose, but that doesn't trouble me."
"Well," Jinlian said, "it may be that a day unlucky for other purposes is most suitable for the making of funeral clothes."
"If you don't mind, then come to my poor house tomorrow."
"Why not bring the material here?" said Jinlian.
"Because I should like to watch you sewing, and there is nobody to look after my house."
"Very well," Jinlian promised, "I will come to your house tomorrow after lunch."
"God bless you! God bless you!" the old lady cried. She went downstairs and away. That evening she told Ximen Qing the result of her efforts, and asked him to come two days later.

西门庆听了大喜道:“虽然上不得凌烟阁,干娘你这条计,端的绝品好妙计!”王婆道:却不要忘了许我那十两银子。”西门庆道:“便得一片橘皮吃,切莫忘了洞庭湖。这条计,干娘几时可行?”婆道:“只今晚来有回报。我如今趁武大未归,过去问他借历日,细细说与他。你快使人送将绸绢绵子来,休要迟了。”西门庆道: “干娘,这是我的事,如何敢失信。”于是作别了王婆,离了茶肆,就去街上买了绸绢三匹并十两清水好绵。家里叫了玳安儿用毡包包了,一直送入王婆家来。王婆欢喜收下,打发小厮回去。正是:
  巫山云雨几时就,莫负襄王筑楚台。
当下王婆收了绸绢绵子,开了后门,走过武大家来。那妇人接着,走去楼上坐的。王婆道:“娘子怎的这两日不过贫家吃茶?”那妇人道:“便是我这几日身子不快,懒走动的。”王婆道:“娘子家里有历日,借与老身看一看,要个裁衣的日子。”妇人道:“干娘裁甚衣服?”王婆道:“便是因老身十病九痛,怕一时有些山高水低,我儿子又不在家。”妇人道:“大哥怎的一向不见?”王婆道:“那厮跟了个客人在外边,不见个音信回来,老身日逐耽心不下。”妇人道:“大哥今年多少年纪?”王婆道:“那厮十七岁了。”妇人道:“怎的不与他寻个亲事,与干娘也替得手?”王婆道:“因是这等说,家中没人。待老身东楞西补的来,早晚要替他寻下个儿。等那厮来,却再理会。见如今老身白日黑夜只发喘咳嗽,身子打碎般,睡不倒的,只害疼,一时先要预备下送终衣服。难得一个财主官人,常在贫家吃茶,但凡他宅里看病,买使女,说亲,见老身这般本分,大小事儿无不管顾老身。又布施了老身一套送终衣料,绸绢表里俱全,又有若干好绵,放在家里一年有余,不能够做得。今年觉得好生不济,不想又撞着闰月,趁着两日倒闲,要做又被那裁缝勒掯,只推生活忙,不肯来做。老身说不得这苦也!”那妇人听了笑道:“只怕奴家做得不中意。若是不嫌时,奴这几日倒闲,出手与干娘做如何?”那婆子听了,堆下笑来说道:“若得娘子贵手做时,老身便死也得好处去。久闻娘子好针指,只是不敢来相央。”那妇人道:“这个何妨!既是许了干娘,务要与干娘做了,将历日去交人拣了黄道好日,奴便动手。”王婆道:“娘子休推老身不知,你诗词百家曲儿内字样,你不知识了多少,如何交人看历日?”妇人微笑道:“奴家自幼失学。”婆子道:“好说,好说。”便取历日递与妇人。妇人接在手内,看了一回,道:“明日是破日,后日也不好,直到外后日方是裁衣日期。”王婆一把手取过历头来挂在墙上,便道:“若得娘子肯与老身做时,就是一点福星。何用选日!老身也曾央人看来,说明日是个破日,老身只道裁衣日不用破日,我不忌他。”那妇人道:“归寿衣服,正用破日便好。”王婆道:“既是娘子肯作成,老身胆大,只是明日起动娘子,到寒家则个。”妇人道:“何不将过来做?”王婆道:“便是老身也要看娘子做生活,又怕门首没人。”妇人道:“既是这等说,奴明日饭后过来。”那婆子千恩万谢下楼去了,当晚回复了西门庆话,约定后日准来。当夜无话。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-10 05:18:14 | 显示全部楼层
The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 3 The Old Procuress) (Part 3)
The next morning the old woman swept out her room, prepared needles and thread, made some tea, and waited for Jinlian.
When Wu Da had eaten his breakfast, he went out with his baskets. His wife pulled up the lattice and ordered Ying'er to look after the house. Then she went by the back door to old woman Wang's house. The old lady, who was as pleased as could be, welcomed her and made her sit down. Then she made a cup of very strong tea, with walnuts and beechnuts, and gave it to Jinlian.
After wiping the table, she brought out the three rolls of silk. Jinlian measured them and cut all the garments out. Then she began to sew.
The old woman watched her and poured forth a stream of compliments.
"What marvelous skill! I have lived nearly seventy years and never have I seen so swift a needle or such cunning fingers."
Jinlian sewed till noon. Then old woman Wang prepared lunch, and asked her to have some. Afterwards, Jinlian sewed till it was nearly dark; then she packed up the silk and went home. When Wu Da came in with his baskets, she closed the door and pulled down the blind. Wu Da saw that his wife's face was red, and asked her where she had been.
"I have been with our neighbor, Stepmother Wang," Jinlian said. "She asked me to make some funeral clothes for her and at lunchtime she set out some wine and cakes and insisted that I should have some."
"You ought not to eat her food," Wu Da said. "It is our place to invite her. She asked you to make these clothes, it is true, but you should take your meals at home and not trouble her. If you go tomorrow, take some money with you and buy some food and wine in your turn. The proverb says: 'Better a neighbor at hand than a relative far away.' Don't let us spoil the friendship between us. If she will not allow you to return her hospitality, you must bring the clothes here and make them."
Jinlian listened, but said nothing. The next day, after breakfast, Wu Da took his baskets and went out. Old woman Wang came over to invite Jinlian to go to her house, and soon they had brought the clothes out and were at work upon them again. Old woman Wang made a cup of tea for Jinlian, but at lunchtime Jinlian took three fen from her sleeve and gave them to the old woman.
"Stepmother," she said, "it is my turn to buy a cup of wine."
"Oh dear!" the old woman cried, "what can you be thinking about? It was I who asked you to come and make these clothes, and I can't possibly allow you to spend your money as well. Why, if I did, your wine and food would poison me."
"You must blame my foolish husband," Jinlian said, "but he said, if you did not take it kindly, I was to go home."
"If your husband feels like that about it," the old woman said, "I suppose I must keep it." She was very much afraid of doing anything that might interfere with her plans, so she put some of her own money to it and went out to buy better food and wine. Then she invited the woman to join her.
It would seem that in all the world there is not a single woman, no matter how intelligent she may be, who cannot be led astray by some trivial act of kindness. Nine women out of every ten are caught this way.
The old woman prepared some refreshments and enjoyed them with Jinlian. Afterwards they went on sewing and, when evening began to fall, the old woman thanked her very heartily, and she went home once more.
After breakfast on the third day, the old woman waited till Wu Da had gone out, then she went to the back door and called out: "Lady, may I make so bold..." Jinlian said she would come in a moment, and soon they were again in the old woman's room, sitting down to work upon the clothes. The old woman made tea as usual.

次日清晨,王婆收拾房内干凈,预备下针线,安排了茶水,在家等候。且说武大吃了早饭,挑着担儿自出去了。那妇人把帘儿挂了,吩咐迎儿看家,从后门走过王婆家来。那婆子欢喜无限,接入房里坐下,便浓浓点一盏胡桃松子泡茶与妇人吃了。抹得桌子干凈,便取出那绸绢三匹来。妇人量了长短,裁得完备,缝将起来。婆子看了,口里不住喝采道:“好手段,老身也活了六七十岁,眼里真个不曾见这般好针指!”那妇人缝到日中,王婆安排些酒食请他,又下了一箸面与那妇人吃。再缝一歇,将次晚来,便收拾了生活,自归家去。恰好武大挑担儿进门,妇人拽门下了帘子。武大入屋里,看见老婆面色微红,问道:“你那里来?”妇人应道:“便是间壁干娘央我做送终衣服,日中安排些酒食点心请我吃。”武大道:“你也不要吃他的才是,我们也有央及他处。他便央你做得衣裳,你便自归来吃些点心,不值得甚么,便搅挠他。你明日再去做时,带些钱在身边,也买些酒食与他回礼。常言道:远亲不如近邻,休要失了人情。他若不肯交你还礼时,你便拿了生活来家,做还与他便了。”正是:
  阿母牢笼设计深,大郎愚卤不知音。带钱买酒酬奸诈,却把婆娘自送人。
妇人听了武大言语,当晚无话。
次日饭后,武大挑担儿出去了,王婆便踅过来相请。妇人去到他家屋里,取出生活来,一面缝来。王婆忙点茶来与他吃了茶。看看缝到日中,那妇人向袖中取出三百文钱来,向王婆说道:“干娘,奴和你买盏酒吃。”王婆道:“啊呀,那里有这个道理。老身央及娘子在这里做生活,如何交娘子倒出钱,婆子的酒食,不到吃伤了哩!”那妇人道:“却是拙夫吩咐奴来,若是干娘见外时,只是将了家去,做还干娘便了。”那婆子听了道:“大郎直恁地晓事!既然娘子这般说时,老身且收下。”这婆子生怕打搅了事,自又添钱去买好酒好食来,殷勤相待。看官听说:但凡世上妇人,由你十分精细,被小意儿纵十个九个着了道儿。这婆子安排了酒食点心,和那妇人吃了。再缝了一歇,看看晚来,千恩万谢归去了。
话休絮烦。第三日早饭后,王婆只张武大出去了,便走过后后门首叫道:“娘子,老身大胆。”那妇人从楼上应道:“奴却待来也。”两个厮见了,来到王婆房里坐下,取过生活来缝。那婆子点茶来吃,自不必说。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-10 05:19:33 | 显示全部楼层
The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 3 The Old Procuress) (Part 4)
About midday, Ximen Qing arrived. He had waited anxiously for this day, and now he dressed himself very elegantly, put three or four taels of silver in his sleeve, and sauntered off to Amethyst Street, with a golden fan in his hand. When he came to the old woman's house, he coughed. Then he called, "Where are you, Stepmother Wang? I haven't seen you for ever so long."
"Who is that calling me?" the old woman cried.
"Ximen Qing."
"I could not imagine who it might be," the old woman said, hurrying to the door, "and here you are! You have just come at the right moment. Come in and see what I have to show you."
She took him by the sleeve and led him to her room. "This is the very gentleman who gave me the silk," she said to Jinlian.
Ximen Qing opened his eyes wide and gazed at the woman. The masses of her piled-up hair seemed like clouds of the darkest hue. Her rosy cheeks had all the freshness of spring. She was wearing a white linen coat, a dark red skirt, and a blue stomacher.
When Ximen came in, she was sewing, but she rose at once and made a reverence to him. He came forward and bowed profoundly. Then she put down the clothes and made a more profound reverence.
"I owe this gentleman a great deal," old woman Wang said. "It was he who gave me this material. I had it in the house a year before I could get anyone to make it up." Then she added, "I am greatly indebted to this lady too, for making the clothes for me. Her sewing is as fine as fine can be. Anything so good and fine is seldom seen in these days. Come and look at it, Sir."
Ximen Qing took up the clothes and examined them. "Indeed," he said, "the lady sews so exquisitely that only an angel could rival her."
Jinlian shyly looked at the ground, but she smiled. "Do not make fun of my poor efforts," she said.
"Stepmother,' Ximen Qing said, "I hardly dare to ask you, but who is this lady?"
"Guess," said the old woman.
"How can I guess?"
"Sit down then, and I will tell you. Do you remember passing by one day and getting a knock on the head?"
"Yes," Ximen said, "I know it is she who struck me that day, but I still don't know who she is."
Jinlian bowed her head more deeply and said with a smile, "It was very careless of your slave to strike you. Please don't be angry with me, my lord."
"How could I possibly be?" Ximen said hastily.
"This lady is the wife of my neighbor, Wu Da," the old woman said.
"Is that so?" Ximen said. "I am afraid I was forgetful of my good manners."
The old woman turned to Jinlian and asked if she knew the gentleman.
"I do not," the woman replied.
"He is one of the wealthiest men in our district and a very good friend of the magistrate. It is Master Ximen. He has thousands and thousands of strings of cash, and keeps a medicine shop near the Town Hall. The money in his house is piled so high that it touches the North Star and even his spoiled rice is enough to fill many barns. His gold is yellow and his silver white. His pearls are round and his precious stones brilliant. He has rhinoceros horns and elephants' tusks. It was I who arranged his first marriage. His wife is the daughter of Captain Wu, a very intelligent woman indeed." Then she turned to Ximen.
"Why have you not been to have tea with me lately?"
"I have been very busy attending to my daughter's betrothal," Ximen said, "and that has left me very little leisure."
"Whom is your daughter going to marry?" the old woman said, "and why didn't you get me to arrange the marriage?"
"She is going to marry Chen Jingji, the son of that Chen who is related to General Yang, who commands the Imperial Guard. The young man is seventeen years old and still at his studies. I should have asked you to arrange this marriage, but a woman named Wen came from his family to ask for the betrothal papers, and Xue, the flower seller, acted for us. They arranged everything between them.
But, Stepmother, we shall be giving a party very soon, and, if you care to come, I shall be delighted to have you join us."
"I was only joking," the old woman said. "The go-betweens in this city are all bitches. When they arranged the marriage, I had no finger in the pie, and, now that the dinner is cooked, they certainly won't wish me to have a bite. There is an old saying that there is never any love lost between those who follow the same profession. No, I will wait until the wedding is over and then I will come with a few humble presents, and I may pick up some of the leavings. That will be the best thing I can do. I can't allow myself to be left completely out of it." They chattered away in this strain, the old woman flattering him, and he muttering any nonsense in return. Meanwhile, Jinlian kept her head modestly bowed and went on with her needlework.

妇人看看缝到晌午前后。却说西门庆巴不到此日,打选衣帽齐齐整整,身边带着三五两银子,手里拿着洒金川扇儿,摇摇摆摆径往紫石街来。到王婆门首,便咳嗽道:“王干娘,连日如何不见?”那婆子瞧科,便应道:“兀的谁叫老娘?”西门庆道:“是我。”那婆子赶出来看了,笑道:“我只道是谁,原来是大官人!你来得正好,且请入屋里去看一看。”把西门庆袖子只一拖,拖进房里来,对那妇人道:“这个便是与老身衣料施主官人。”西门庆睁眼看着那妇人:云鬟迭翠,粉面生春,上穿白布衫儿,桃红裙子,蓝比甲,正在房里做衣服。见西门庆过来,便把头低了。这西门庆连忙向前屈身唱喏。那妇人随即放下生活,还了万福。王婆便道:“难得官人与老身段匹绸绢,放在家一年有余,不曾得做,亏杀邻家这位娘子出手与老身做成全了。真个是布机也似好针线,缝的又好又密,真个难得!大官人,你过来且看一看。”西门庆拿起衣服来看了,一面喝采,口里道:“这位娘子,传得这等好针指,神仙一般的手段!”那妇人低头笑道:“官人休笑话。”西门庆故问王婆道:“干娘,不敢动问,这位娘子是谁家宅上的娘子?”王婆道:“你猜。”西门庆道:“小人如何猜得着。”王婆哈哈笑道:“大官人你请坐,我对你说了罢。”那西门庆与妇人对面坐下。那婆子道:“好交大官人得知罢,你那日屋檐下走,打得正好。”西门庆道: “就是那日在门首叉竿打了我的?倒不知是谁家宅上娘子?”妇人分外把头低了一低,笑道:“那日奴误冲撞,官人休怪!”西门庆连忙应道:“小人不敢。”王婆道:“就是这位,却是间壁武大娘子。”西门庆道:“原来如此,小人失瞻了。”王婆因望妇人说道:“娘子你认得这位官人么?”妇人道:“不识得。”婆子道: “这位官人,便是本县里一个财主,知县相公也和他来往,叫做西门大官人。家有万万贯钱财,在县门前开生药铺。家中钱过北斗,米烂成仓,黄的是金,白的是银,圆的是珠,放光的是宝,也有犀牛头上角,大象口中牙。他家大娘子,也是我说的媒,是吴千户家小姐,生得百伶百俐。”因问:“大官人,怎的不过贫家吃茶?”西门庆道:“便是家中连日小女有人家定了,不得闲来。”婆子道:“大姐有谁家定了?怎的不请老身去说媒?”西门庆道:“被东京八十万禁军杨提督亲家陈宅定了。他儿子陈敬济才十七岁,还上学堂。不是也请干娘说媒,他那边有了个文嫂儿来讨帖儿,俺这里又使常在家中走的卖翠花的薛嫂儿,同做保山,说此亲事。干娘若肯去,到明日下小茶,我使人来请你。”婆子哈哈笑道:“老身哄大官人耍子。俺这媒人们都是狗娘养下来的,他们说亲时又没我,做成的熟饭儿怎肯搭上老身一分?常言道:当行压当行。到明日娶过了门时,老身胡乱三朝五日,拿上些人情去走走,讨得一张半张桌面,到是正经。怎的好和人斗气!”两个一递一句说了一回。婆子只顾夸奖西门庆,口里假嘈,那妇人便低了头缝针线。
  水性从来是女流,背夫常与外人偷。金莲心爱西门庆,淫荡春心不自由。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-10 05:22:19 | 显示全部楼层
The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 3 The Old Procuress) (Part 5)
Ximen Qing glanced at her from time to time, and could see the passion within her growing stronger. This delighted him beyond measure, and he was more eager than ever to bring the matter to its consummation. The old woman made two cups of tea. She gave one to Ximen Qing and the other to Jinlian, and said: "Lady, won't you take a cup of tea with this gentleman?" She looked at Ximen, and stroked her cheek gently; it was a sign that five of their ten points were already gained. The power of tea to exhilarate, and the power of wine to bring people together, have always been acknowledged as the go-betweens of love.
"If you had not come here," old woman Wang said, "I should never have had the courage to go to your house and invite you. Good fortune brought you here, and good fortune, again, decided the moment of your coming. But there is an old saying: 'One guest never troubles two hosts.' You have given me money, and this kind lady has been good enough to work for me, and I don't know how I can express my gratitude to either of you. If the fates had not been kind, I should have found it hard to bring you two together. I suggest, Sir, that you take my place as host, and give me something to buy a little wine for the lady."
"I don't know whether I have any money with me," Ximen Qing said, feeling in his sleeve. He brought out a tael of silver, gave it to the old woman, and asked her to buy something with it.
"Not for me, please," Jinlian said, but she made no attempt to move. The old woman took the silver and, as she prepared to go out, said, "Lady, I wonder if you will be good enough to keep the gentleman company till I come back. I shall only be a few minutes."
"Stepmother, please don't trouble," Jinlian said, but still she remained in her place. The old woman went out, and left Ximen Qing and Pan Jinlian alone together.
Ximen's eyes seemed to devour the woman. She looked up at him coyly, then bowed her head again and went on with her sewing. Before long, the old woman was back again with cooked goose and roasted duck, meats of various kinds, and some luscious-looking fruits. She put them on dishes and set them on the table.
Then she said to Jinlian: "Won't you put the clothes aside for a while, and take a cup of wine?"
"You drink with his Lordship," the woman said. "It is not for me to take such a liberty."
"You mustn't say that," the old woman cried, "it has all been arranged in your honor." She placed the dishes before them and, when they had taken their places, poured the wine.
"Stepmother," Ximen Qing said, "will you ask the lady to take wine with me?"
Jinlian thanked him. She dared not drink, she said, because a very little wine went to her head.
"Oh, you can hold a good deal," the old woman said, "I know that. Don't make a fuss about a cup or two."
Jinlian took the wine and raised her glass to the others. Ximen Qing took up his chopsticks. "Stepmother," he said, "ask the lady to take something to eat." The old lady picked out some tidbits and passed them to the woman. The wine went around three times, and old woman Wang went out to warm some more.
"May I ask your age?" Ximen said.
"I am twenty-five," Jinlian said, bowing her head again.
"Then you and my wife are the same age. Her animal is the Dragon, and she was born on the fifteenth day of the eighth month."
"You are putting Earth and Heaven on the same plane," Jinlian said. "You pay me too great a compliment."
"This lady," old woman Wang said, "is as clever as can be, besides being such a good needlewoman. She knows all the philosophies of all the philosophers, not to speak of backgammon and chess. She can write very nicely too."
"Ah," Ximen said, with a sigh, "but where shall we find another like her?"
"I wouldn't say anything impertinent for the world," old woman Wang said, "but though you have many ladies in your house, I doubt whether there is one among them equal to this lady."
"That is true, I fear," Ximen said. "It is a long story. The fates have been unkind to me and I must own that none of them is really any use."
"Your first wife was good enough," the old woman said.
"Don't talk about her," Ximen cried.
"If she had lived, things would have been very different, but now there is no real mistress in the house and the whole place is going to rack and ruin. There are three, five, nay seven people—all ready enough to eat my food, but not so ready to attend to their household duties."
"How long is it since your first wife died? I have forgotten."
"I hate to talk about it," Ximen said.
"My first wife Chen came from a very poor family, but she was a clever woman and did all I needed. Unhappily, she died more than three years ago. I have married again, but my present wife is always ailing and the business of the household is too much for her. My domestic affairs are in complete disarray. Perhaps that is why I spend so much of my time away from home. If I didn't there would be trouble."
"You must excuse me, Sir," said the old woman, "but your late wife and your present wife together were not so skilled in needlework as this lady, or so attractive in appearance."
"My other wives also," said Ximen, "cannot compare with her."
"But what about the establishment in East Street?" the old woman said, laughing. "Why do you never ask me to tea there?"
"You are thinking of Zhang Xichun, the singing girl?" Ximen said. "I found she was a flighty creature and I have given her up."
"That may be," the old woman continued, "but what about Li Jiao'er, who used to be in the bawdy house? You have been on very good terms with her for a long time."
"Oh, I took her into my household some time ago and, if she proves satisfactory, I shall marry her."
"Then there was Miss Zhuo," the old woman suggested.
"Do not mention her name," Ximen said. "I made her my third wife, but a short time ago she fell ill and died."
"Dear me! Dear me!" cried the old woman. "Suppose I found a lady like this, one whom you really liked, and came to your house to talk over the matter? Don't you think it would cause a disturbance?"
"My parents are both dead, and I am my own master. Who would dare say a word to me?"
"However, I may try. Where can I find a lady so much to your liking as this one?"
"Oh, there may be one for all we know," Ximen said. "But I loathe the Fates who control my matrimonial affairs. If they had been more indulgent, I might have found such a woman."
They chatted in this way for some time. At last old woman Wang said, "Just when we are ready for a little more wine, it all seems to have gone.
I am sorry to trouble you, Sir, but may I buy another jar?" Ximen Qing put his hand in his sleeve. There were still three or four taels there. He gave them all to the old lady, "Here you are," he said. "Any time we are short of wine, you need only go and get it."
The old woman thanked him, and got up. She glanced at Jinlian, who, after drinking three cups of wine, was already consumed with passion. The words that passed between them seemed only to add fuel to the fires that burned within. She bowed her head, but still she did not move.

西门庆见金莲有几分情意欢喜,恨不得就要成双。王婆便去点两盏茶来,递一盏西门庆,一盏与妇人,说道:“娘子相待官人吃些茶。”旋又看着西门庆,把手在脸上摸一摸,西门庆已知有五分光了。自古“风流茶说合,酒是色媒人”。王婆便道:“大官人不来,老身也不敢去宅上相请。一者缘法撞遇,二者来得正好。常言道:一客不烦二主。大官人便是出钱的,这位娘子便是出力的,亏杀你这两位施主。不是老身路歧相烦,难得这位娘子在这里,官人好与老身做个主人,拿出些银子买些酒食来,与娘子浇浇手,如何?”西门庆道:“小人也见不到这里,有银子在此。”便向茄袋里取出来,约有一两一块,递与王婆,交备办酒食。那妇人便道 “不消生受。”口里说着恰不动身。王婆接了银子,临出门便道:“有劳娘子相陪大官人坐一坐,我去就来。”那妇人道:“干娘免了罢。”却亦不动身。王婆便出门去了,丢下西门庆和那妇人在屋里。
这西门庆一双眼不转睛,只看着那妇人。那婆娘也把眼来偷睃西门庆,又低着头做生活。不多时,王婆买了见成肥鹅烧鸭、熟肉鲜鲊、细巧果子,归来尽把盘碟盛了,摆在房里桌子上。看那妇人道:“娘子且收拾过生活,吃一杯儿酒。”那妇人道:“你自陪大官人吃,奴却不当。”那婆子道:“正是专与娘子浇手,如何却说这话!”一面将盘馔却摆在面前,三人坐下,把酒来斟。西门庆拿起酒盏来道:“干娘相待娘子满饮几杯。”妇人谢道:“奴家量浅,吃不得。”王婆道:“老身得知娘子洪饮,且请开怀吃两盏儿。”那妇人一面接酒在手,向二人各道了万福。西门庆拿起箸来说道:“干娘替我劝娘子些菜儿。”那婆子拣好的递将过来与妇人吃。一连斟了三巡酒,那婆子便去烫酒来。西门庆道:“小人不敢动问,娘子青春多少?”妇人低头应道:“二十五岁。”西门庆道:“娘子到与家下贱内同庚,也是庚辰属龙的。他是八月十五日子时。”妇人又回应道:“将天比地,折杀奴家。”王婆便插口道:“好个精细的娘子,百伶百俐,又不枉做得一手好针线。诸子百家,双陆象棋,折牌道字,皆通。一笔好写。”西门庆道:“却是那里去讨。”王婆道:“不是老身说是非,大官人宅上有许多,那里讨得一个似娘子的!”西门庆道:“便是这等,一言难尽。只是小人命薄,不曾招得一个好的在家里。”王婆道:“大官人先头娘子须也好。”西门庆道:“休说!我先妻若在时,却不恁的家无主,屋到竖。如今身边枉自有三五七口人吃饭,都不管事。”婆子嘈道:“连我也忘了,没有大娘子得几年了?”西门庆道:“说不得,小人先妻陈氏,虽是微末出身,却倒百伶百俐,是件都替的我。如今不幸他没了,已过三年来。今继娶这个贱累,又常有疾病,不管事,家里的勾当都七颠八倒。为何小人只是走了出来?在家里时,便要呕气。”婆子道:“大官人,休怪我直言,你先头娘子并如今娘子,也没这大娘子这手针线,这一表人物。”西门庆道:“便是房下们也没这大娘子一般儿风流。”那婆子笑道:“官人,你养的外宅东街上住的,如何不请老身去吃茶?”西门庆道:“便是唱慢曲儿的张惜春。我见他是路歧人,不喜欢。”婆子又道: “官人你和勾栏中李娇儿却长久。”西门庆道:“这个人见今已娶在家里。若得他会当家时,自册正了他。”王婆道:“与卓二姐却相交得好?”西门庆道:“卓丢儿别要说起,我也娶在家做了第三房。近来得了个细疾,却又没了。”婆子道:“耶嚛,耶嚛! 若有似大娘子这般中官人意的,来宅上说,不妨事么?”西门庆道: “我的爹娘俱已没了,我自主张,谁敢说个不字?”王婆道:“我自说耍,急切便那里有这般中官人意的!”西门庆道:“做甚么便没?只恨我夫妻缘分上薄,自不撞着哩。”西门庆和婆子一递一句说了一回。王婆道:“正好吃酒,却又没了。官人休怪老身差拨,买一瓶儿酒来吃如何?”西门庆便向茄袋内,还有三四两散银子,都与王婆,说道:“干娘,你拿了去,要吃时只顾取来,多的干娘便就收了。”那婆子谢了起身。睃那粉头时,三钟酒下肚,哄动春心,又自两个言来语去,都有意了,只低了头不起身。正是:
  眼意眉情卒未休,姻缘相凑遇风流。王婆贪贿无他技,一味花言巧舌头。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|桐木舟论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 22:54 , Processed in 0.054750 second(s), 21 queries .