桐木舟学英语人工智能

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
查看: 844|回复: 4

The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 5 The Murder of Wu Da)

[复制链接]

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
发表于 2022-3-14 00:00:32 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 5 The Murder of Wu Da) (Part 1)
When deep in mystic contemplation
Sounding the shallows of this world's emptiness,
Even the marriage most blessed by
Fate seems full of evil.
Men in their folly crave for love,
Yet, when in calm collectedness they study it,
Hateful it seems.
Leave the wild grasses
Gather not the idle flowers
So, thy truest self, the vigor of thy manhood,
Will know the peace of Nature.
A simple wife, young children, and plain fare
With these need no man suffer the pangs of love
Or lose his fortune.
Yun'ge could not contain his anger at the way old woman Wang had treated him. He took his basket and went to find Wu Da. He had gone through two streets before he met the man for whom he was looking. Wu Da, carrying his buns, was coming towards him. The boy stopped. "It is some time since I saw you last," he said, looking hard at the man. "How fat you have grown."
"Fat?" said Wu Da. "What do you mean? I am just the same as I always was."
"A few days ago," Yun'ge said, "I wanted some chicken food. I went for miles, but couldn't get any. Yet everybody tells me you have lots of it at your house."
"I keep neither geese nor ducks," Wu Da said. "Why should I have chicken food?"
"So you say," Yun'ge retorted, "but what makes you so much like a capon? Why! If you were held topsy-turvy, you would never turn a hair; you'd keep quite cool if you were being boiled in a cauldron."
"This is an insult, you young scoundrel," Wu Da cried. "My wife has not run off with anybody's husband. What makes you call me a capon?"
"Indeed?" the boy said. "So your wife has not run off with anybody's husband, hasn't she? Perhaps I should have said she has run off with somebody's husband."
"Who is the man?" Wu Da cried. "Tell me."
"You make me laugh. You can do what you like with me easily enough, but you won't find your wife's new friend so easy to dispose of."
"Good little brother, tell me who he is and I will give you ten cakes." "Cakes won't do. I'd rather you were my host and gave me some wine. Three cups, and I'll tell you the whole story."
"If it's wine you want, come along,"
Wu Da said. He led the way to a little wineshop. Calling for a jar of wine and some meat, he took cakes from his basket and invited Yun'ge to join him. "Good little brother," he said, "you really must tell me."
"There is no hurry. Wait till I have finished my food. Then I'll tell you. You mustn't be impatient. I'll help you to catch them."
Wu Da waited till the young monkey had finished, and again asked him to explain himself.
"If you would like to know," the boy said, "put your hand on my head and feel the bumps."
"How did you get them?"
"I'll tell you. Today I have been carrying my pears about looking for his Lordship, Ximen. I walked and walked, but couldn't find him anywhere. Then somebody in the street told me he was at old woman Wang's tea shop, amusing himself with Mistress Wu; that he went there every day. I thought I might see him there, and get thirty or fifty cash from him, but the old sow Wang wouldn't let me in. She drove me away, and then I thought I'd come and see you. I was rather rude, but, if I hadn't made you wild, you wouldn't have asked me any questions."
"Is this the truth?"
"Don't you believe me?" the boy cried. "Didn't I say you were a white-livered fellow? Those two are making merry at this very moment. They wait till you have gone out, and then they go and meet at the old woman's house. You say, 'Is this the truth?' What reason have I for deceiving you?"
"Little brother, it is true. My wife goes every day to this old woman's house to make clothes and shoes, and when she comes back she has a red face. My first wife left me with a little daughter. This woman beats her every morning and scolds her every night. She gives her hardly anything to eat.
Lately she certainly has been looking as if something was on her mind. She looked balefully at me, and I wondered whether anything was wrong. You have told the truth. I will put my baskets down and go and catch these evil-doers in the act."
"You may be old as years go," Yun'ge said, "but for the little you know of the world, you might be a child. That old bitch Wang is not afraid of anybody. She would throw you out of the house. Besides, your wife and Ximen have a secret signal. If they knew you were coming, Ximen Qing would hide your wife. He is a very strong man and could dispose of twenty like you. You will never be able to touch him; much more likely you'll find his fist in your mouth. He is so rich and powerful that he would bring an accusation against you, and have you hauled to the courts. You have nobody to help you, and you'd come to an unhappy end."
"You are right, little brother, but what can I do to revenge myself?"
"I want revenge too," Yun'ge said, "for the old woman beat me. Listen to me. Go home today, show no sign of being angry, and don't say one word about the matter. Just behave as usual. Tomorrow, don't make more than a few cakes. Go out with them. I shall be waiting at the entrance to the lane. If Ximen Qing comes, I will give you a call, and you can take your baskets and wait for me somewhere near by. I will go first and plague the old bitch. She will certainly come out to hit me. I will throw my basket far into the street, and then you can run in. I will hold the old woman, and you can rush into the room, and tell them what you think about them. Don't you think that's a good plan?"
"I am greatly indebted to you," Wu Da said; "here are two strings of cash. Come early tomorrow and wait at the entrance to Amethyst Street."
Yun'ge took the money and some of the cakes, and went off. Wu Da paid the reckoning, picked up his baskets, and went back to the street to sell his cakes. A little later he went home.

第五回 捉奸情郓哥定计 饮鸩药武大遭殃
诗曰:
  参透风流二字禅,好姻缘是恶姻缘。痴心做处人人爱,冷眼观时个个嫌。   野草闲花休采折,真姿劲质自安然。山妻稚子家常饭,不害相思不损钱。
话说当下郓哥被王婆打了,心中正没出气处,提了雪梨篮儿,一径奔来街上寻武大郎。转了两条街,只见武大挑着炊饼担儿,正从那条街过来。郓哥见了,立住了脚,看着武大道:“这几时不见你,吃得肥了!”武大歇下担儿道:“我只是这等模样,有甚吃得肥处?”郓哥道:“我前日要籴些麦稃,一地里没籴处,人都道你屋里有。”武大道:“我屋里并不养鹅鸭,那里有这麦稃?”郓哥道:“你说没麦稃,怎的赚得你恁肥耷耷的,便颠倒提你起来也不妨,煮你在锅里也没气。”武大道:“小囚儿,倒骂得我好。我的老婆又不偷汉子,我如何是鸭?”郓哥道:“你老婆不偷汉子,只偷子汉。”武大扯住郓哥道:“还我主儿来!”郓哥道:“我笑你只会扯我,却不道咬下他左边的来。”武大道:“好兄弟,你对我说是谁,我把十个炊饼送你。”郓哥道:“炊饼不济事。你只做个东道,我吃三杯,便说与你。”武大道:“你会吃酒?跟我来。”
武大挑了担儿,引着郓哥,到个小酒店里,歇下担儿,拿几个炊饼,买了些肉,讨了一旋酒,请郓哥吃着。武大道:“好兄弟,你说与我则个。”郓哥道:“且不要慌,等我一发吃完了,却说与你。你却不要气苦,我自帮你打捉。”武大看那猴子吃了酒肉:“你如今却说与我。”郓哥道:“你要得知,把手来摸我头上的疙瘩。”武大道:“却怎地来有这疙瘩?”郓哥道:“我对你说,我今日将这篮雪梨去寻西门大官,一地里没寻处。街上有人道:‘他在王婆茶坊里来,和武大娘子勾搭上了,每日只在那里行走。’我指望见了他,撰他三五十文钱使。叵耐王婆那老猪狗,不放我去房里寻他,大栗暴打出我来。我特地来寻你。我方纔把两句话来激你,我不激你时,你须不来问我。”武大道:“真个有这等事?”郓哥道:“又来了,我道你这般屁鸟人!那厮两个落得快活,只专等你出来,便在王婆房里做一处。你问道真个也是假,难道我哄你不成?”武大听罢,道:“兄弟,我实不瞒你说,我这婆娘每日去王婆家里做衣服,做鞋脚,归来便脸红。我先妻丢下个女孩儿,朝打暮骂,不与饭吃,这两日有些精神错乱,见了我,不做欢喜。我自也有些疑忌在心里,这话正是了。我如今寄了担儿,便去捉奸如何?”郓哥道:“你老大一条汉,元来没些见识!那王婆老狗,什么利害怕人的人!你如何出得他手?他二人也有个暗号儿,见你入来拿他,把你老婆藏过了。那西门庆须了得!打你这般二十个。若捉他不着,反吃他一顿好拳头。他又有钱有势,反告你一状子,你须吃他一场官司,又没人做主,干结果了你性命!”武大道:“兄弟,你都说得是。我却怎的出得这口气?”郓哥道:“我吃那王婆打了,也没出气处。我教你一着:今日归去,都不要发作,也不要说,只自做每日一般。明朝便少做些炊饼出来卖,我自在巷口等你。若是见西门庆入去时,我便来叫你。你便挑着担儿只在左近等我。我先去惹那老狗,他必然来打我。我先把篮儿丢出街心来,你却抢入。我便一头顶住那婆子,你便奔入房里去,叫起屈来。此计如何?”武大道:“既是如此,却是亏了兄弟。我有两贯钱,我把你去,你到明日早早来紫石街巷口等我。”郓哥得了钱并几个炊饼,自去了。武大还了酒钱,挑了担儿,自去卖了一遭归去。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-14 00:01:49 | 显示全部楼层
The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 5 The Murder of Wu Da) (Part 2)
His wife had never ceased to grumble at him and had found a hundred ways of making life unpleasant to him, but of late her conscience had smitten her and she showed signs of relenting. This evening, when Wu Da came home with his baskets and said nothing, as was usual, she asked him to have some wine. He refused, saying he had already taken wine with some merchants. She laid out his supper, but still he did not offer to speak, and next morning, after breakfast, he made only two or three trays of cakes, and put them in his baskets.
Jinlian was so taken up with her thoughts of Ximen Qing that she did not notice how many cakes he made.
She waited impatiently until he had gone out and then went to the tea shop to wait for her lover.
Wu Da took his baskets to the entrance to Amethyst Street. Yun'ge, also with a basket, was looking around.
"Well?" Wu Da said.
"It is too soon yet. Go and sell your cakes till he comes. Wait at the corner, and don't go far away."
Wu Da hurried away, but was soon back again. "The moment you see me throw down my basket," the boy said, "dash into the room." Wu Da put down his own basket and waited.
Yun'ge went to the tea shop. "You old pig," he said, in the most irritating tone he could command. "What did you mean by hitting me yesterday?"
Old woman Wang jumped up at once.
"I have not done anything to you, you little monkey. Why have you come to insult me again?"
"For a very good reason, you old bitch, you old strumpet mistress. My ramrod to you!"
This made the old woman furious.
She dashed at Yun'ge and tried to hit him. "Would you beat me?" he cried, and threw his basket as far as he could into the street. The old woman tried to hold him, but the little monkey cried, "Hit me if you can," put down his head, and butted her in the belly.
She would have fallen if there had not been a wall behind her. The young monkey pushed as hard as he could and pinned her against the wall, while Wu Da pulled up his skirts and strode into the tea shop. The old woman saw him, and would have stopped him if she could, but the boy kept her close against the wall and she could not free herself.
"Wu Da is here," she cried.
Jinlian and Ximen Qing did not know what to do. Jinlian threw herself against the door, and Ximen Qing crawled under the bed. Wu Da tried to force open the door but failed.
"This is a fine game you're playing," he cried. Jinlian was filled with confusion, but she succeeded in holding the door against him.
"You talk about the strength of your fists," she said to Ximen Qing, "and you are always boasting about your skill with the staff; why don't you come out and do something? Why, even a paper tiger is enough to frighten you." This she said to shame him into coming out, so that he might strike down Wu Da and make his escape. Ximen, in his hiding place under the bed, did grow bolder when he heard what she said. He crawled out nervously.
"I wasn't afraid," he said, "only a little taken by surprise." He threw open the door, and cried, "Stand back there!" Wu Da tried to close, but Ximen kicked out at him and, as the man was very small, the foot caught him in the ribs, and he fell backwards.
Ximen Qing went out, and Yun'ge, seeing that matters had not turned out as he had hoped, released the old woman and ran away.
The neighbors knew Ximen Qing's power, and none of them dared to come and interfere. Old woman Wang lifted up Wu Da. His face was as yellow as a tallow candle, and he was spitting blood. She told Jinlian to bring a cup of water to revive him and then, each holding him by one arm, they took him home by the back way and put him to bed.
Next day Ximen did not hear any bad news, so he went as usual to the old woman's house to make merry with Jinlian. He hoped that Wu Da would die, and indeed for five days the poor man was very ill, and unable to leave his bed. He longed for food and could obtain none; he sighed for a drink and none was given him. Day after day he appealed to Jinlian, but she never answered. She went out, dressed in her best clothes, and came back with a flushed face. His daughter Ying'er had been forbidden to do anything for him.
"If you dare to do anything for him and don't tell me," the woman had said, "you shall pay for it." After this the child did not venture to give her father a spoonful of soup or even a drop of water.

原来这妇人,往常时只是骂武大,百般的欺负他。近日来也自知无礼,只得窝盘他些个。当晚武大挑了担儿归来,也是和往日一般,并不题起别事。那妇人道:“大哥,买盏酒吃?”武大道:“却才和一般经纪人买了三盏吃了。”那妇人便安排晚饭与他吃了。当夜无话。次日饭后,武大只做三两扇炊饼,安在担儿上。这妇人一心只想着西门庆,那里来理会武大的做多做少。当日武大挑了担儿,自出去做买卖。这妇人巴不的他出去了,便踅过王婆茶坊里来等西门庆。
且说武大挑着担儿,出到紫石街巷口,迎见郓哥提着篮儿在那里张望。武大道:“如何?”郓哥道:“还早些个。你自去卖一遭来,那厮七八也将来也。你只在左近处伺候,不可远去了。”武大云飞也似去卖了一遭回来。郓哥道:“你只看我篮儿抛出来,你便飞奔入去。”武大把担儿寄下,不在话下。
却说郓哥提着篮儿,走入茶坊里来,向王婆骂道:“老猪狗!你昨日为甚么便打我?”那婆子旧性不改,便跳身起来喝道:“你这小猢狲!老娘与你无干,你如何又来骂我?”郓哥道:“便骂你这马伯六,做牵头的老狗肉,直我鸡巴!”那婆子大怒,揪住郓哥便打。郓哥叫一声:“你打我!”把那篮儿丢出当街上来。那婆子却待揪他,被这小猴子叫一声“你打”时,就打王婆腰里带个住,看着婆子小肚上,只一头撞将去,险些儿不跌倒,却得壁子碍住不倒。那猴子死顶在壁上。只见武大从外裸起衣裳,大踏步直抢入茶坊里来。那婆子见是武大,来得甚急,待要走去阻当,却被这小猴子死力顶住,那里肯放!婆子只叫得“武大来也!”那妇人正和西门庆在房里,做手脚不迭,先奔来顶住了门。这西门庆便钻入床下躲了。武大抢到房门首,用手推那房门时,那里推得开!口里只叫“做得好事!”那妇人顶着门,慌做一团,口里便说道:“你闲常时只好鸟嘴,卖弄杀好拳棒,临时便没些用儿!见了纸虎儿也吓一交!”那妇人这几句话,分明叫西门庆来打武大,夺路走。西门庆在床底下听了妇人这些话,提醒他这个念头,便钻出来说道:“不是我没这本事,一时间没这智量。”便来拔开门,叫声“不要来!”武大却待揪他,被西门庆早飞起脚来。武大矮小,正踢中心窝,扑地望后便倒了。西门庆打闹里一直走了。郓哥见势头不好,也撇了王婆,撒开跑了。街坊邻舍,都知道西门了得,谁敢来管事?王婆当时就地下扶起武大来,见他口里吐血,面皮腊渣也似黄了,便叫那妇人出来,舀碗水来救得苏醒,两个上下肩搀着,便从后门归到家中楼上去,安排他床上睡了。当夜无话。次日,西门庆打听得没事,依前自来王婆家,和这妇人顽耍,只指望武大自死。
武大一病五日不起,更兼要汤不见,要水不见,每日叫那妇人又不应。只见他浓妆艳抹了出去,归来便脸红。小女迎儿又吃妇人禁住,不得向前,吓道:“小贱人,你不对我说,与了他水吃,都在你身上!”那迎儿见妇人这等说,怎敢与武大一点汤水吃!
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-14 00:03:01 | 显示全部楼层
The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 5 The Murder of Wu Da) (Part 3)
Several times Wu Da fainted in his anger, but nobody paid the least attention to him. One day he cried to his wife, "You have done this because I found you out. You told that wicked man to kick me over the heart. And now I can neither die nor live. And the pair of you are as happy as can be. If I die, it is a small matter; you have nothing to fear from me. But don't forget Wu Song. Sooner or later he will come back, and he will have something to say about all this. Show me a little kindness and help me to get well as quickly as possible and I won't tell him anything. But if you still refuse to do anything for me, I shall have my reckoning with you on his return."
Jinlian listened, but made no answer.
She went next door and told old woman Wang and Ximen Qing everything Wu Da had said. Ximen shivered as though a bucket of cold water had been poured over him.
"This is most awkward," he said. "This brother is the Captain Wu who killed a tiger on Jingyang Hill. And now I have learned to love you. We get on together so perfectly. It is not conceivable that we should separate, but it means thinking out some way of dealing with the problem. Really, it is most unfortunate."
Old woman Wang laughed. "I've never seen such a man. You are at the helm and I am only at the oar, yet, while I see no difficulty, you seem to have no notion what to do."
"I am ashamed," Ximen said, "but I must admit I don't know what to do.
Have you any plan for getting us out of the difficulty?"
"If you really wish for my help, I have a plan," the old woman said. "First, I must know whether you wish your relations to be permanent or temporary."
"What do you mean, Stepmother?"
"If you will be satisfied with a temporary arrangement, you must separate today. When Wu Da is well, you must ask his forgiveness. Then nobody will say anything to Wu Song about this affair. You will have to wait till some business takes him away again, and then you can meet once more. That is what I mean by 'temporary arrangement.' If you wish for something more permanent, I have an excellent idea, but it is one that I hesitate to tell you."
"Stepmother," Ximen said, "please do anything you can to keep us always together."
"There is one thing I need for this plan. It is not to be had everywhere, but I have no doubt you have some of it."
"If you want my eye, you shall have it," Ximen cried. "What is it you mean?"
"Wu Da is dangerously ill. Let us take the chance while we have it. Go to your shop, get some arsenic and give it to this lady. Then she can buy some medicine for Wu Da's sore chest and put the arsenic into it. So we shall rid ourselves of that little man. When he is dead, we will burn his body till not a trace remains. When Wu Song comes back, he can do nothing about it. A young man, when he takes a wife, marries to please his parents, but when he marries again he makes his own choice. What can a younger brother do? Six months or a year later, when the lady is out of mourning, there is nothing to prevent you marrying her. If you live together happily all your lives, won't that be permanent enough for you?"
"It is an admirable plan, Stepmother. As the proverb says: 'The treasure of a happy life can only be secured by desperate deeds.' Yes, one evil deed deserves another."
"So you think my scheme a good one!" the old woman said. "Well, there is nothing like pulling up the roots when we cut the grass. It never grows again. Go home, Sir, and bring the stuff to me. I'll show the lady what to do with it. But, when all is over, I shall expect a present worth having."
"Of course," Ximen said, "that goes without saying."

武大几遍只是气得发昏,又没人来采问。一日,武大叫老婆过来,分咐他道:“你做的勾当,我亲手捉着你奸,你倒挑拨奸夫踢了我心。至今求生不生,求死不死,你们却自去快活。我死自不妨,和你们争执不得了。我兄弟武二,你须知他性格,倘或早晚归来,他肯干休?你若肯可怜我,早早扶得我好了,他归来时,我都不提起。你若不看顾我时,待他归来,却和你们说话。”这妇人听了,也不回言,却踅过王婆家来,一五一十都对王婆和西门庆说了。那西门庆听了这话,似提在冷水盆内一般,说道:“苦也!我须知景阳冈上打死大虫的武都头。我如今却和娘子眷恋日久,情孚意合,拆散不开。据此等说时,正是怎生得好?却是苦也!”王婆冷笑道:“我倒不曾见,你是个把舵的,我是个撑船的,我倒不慌,你倒慌了手脚!”西门庆道:“我枉自做个男子汉,到这般去处,却摆布不开。你有甚么主见,遮藏我们则个。”王婆道:“既然我遮藏你们,我有一条计。你们却要长做夫妻,短做夫妻?”西门庆道:“干娘,你且说如何是长做夫妻、短做夫妻?”王婆道:“若是短做夫妻,你们就今日便分散。等武大将息好了起来,与他陪了话。武二归来都没言语,待他再差使出去,却又来相会。这是短做夫妻。你们若要长做夫妻,每日同在一处,不耽惊受怕,我却有这条妙计,只是难教你们!”西门庆道: “干娘,周旋了我们则个,只要长做夫妻。”王婆道:“这条计用着件东西,别人家里都没,天生天化,大官人家里却有。”西门庆道:“便是要我的眼睛,也剜来与你。却是甚么东西?”王婆道:“如今这捣子病得重,趁他狼狈,好下手。大官人家里取些砒霜,却交大娘子自去赎一帖心疼的药来,却把这砒霜下在里面,把这矮子结果了,一把火烧得干干凈凈,没了踪迹。便是武二回来,他待怎的?自古道:‘幼嫁从亲,再嫁由身。’小叔如何管得暗地里事!半年一载,等待夫孝满日,大官人娶到家去。这不是长远夫妻,偕老同欢!此计如何?”西门庆道:“干娘此计甚妙。自古道:欲救生快活,须下死功夫。罢罢罢!一不做,二不休。”王婆道:“可知好哩!这是剪草除根,萌芽不发。大官人往家里去快取此物来,我自教娘子下手。事了时,却要重重谢我。”西门庆道:“这个自然,不消你说。”
  云情雨意两绸缪,恋色迷花不肯休。毕竟人生如泡影,何须死下杀人谋?
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-14 00:04:36 | 显示全部楼层
The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 5 The Murder of Wu Da) (Part 4)
He went at once to his shop and soon returned with a packet of arsenic, which he gave to old woman Wang.
She looked at Jinlian.
"Now, Lady, I am going to tell you how to use this. Wu Da has begged you to save him, and that gives you an opening. You must make a great show of affection. When he asks you for something to make him better, put this arsenic into some medicine to soothe his chest. When he complains of pain, pour it down his throat. As soon as the poison has got to work, his bowels will burst and he will cry out. So put the bedclothes over him, and press down the coverlet, and make sure that no one hears him. One thing you must do is to heat some water, and put a napkin into it. When the poison has taken effect, blood will stream from the seven openings of his body, and there will be marks on his lips. As soon as he is really dead, you must take off the bedclothes, and wipe away the blood. All that remains is to put him into a coffin and get him out of the way."
"I see," Jinlian said, "but my arms are weak. I shall not have strength enough."
"That doesn't matter. Knock on the wall, and I will come and help you."
"You must both be very careful," Ximen Qing said. "I will come tomorrow at the fifth watch to hear what news you have."
Old woman Wang powdered the arsenic and gave it to Jinlian, who went home. Wu Da was breathing so feebly that it seemed as though his soul had already left him. She sat on his bed, and pretended to cry.
"Why are you crying?" Wu Da said.
Jinlian dried her tears. "Because I allowed myself to be led astray by that Ximen Qing and, for a time, yielded to temptation. But I never meant him to kick you in the chest. Now, I have heard of some very good medicine, and I would go and buy some to make you well, if I were not afraid you would be suspicious. As it is, I don't dare go."
"If you will only save my life," Wu Da said, "I'll forgive you everything, and never hold this business against you. And I won't tell Wu Song anything about it, when he comes home. Go and buy the medicine, and save my life."
The woman took a few coins, and went to old woman Wang's, to make it appear as though she had asked her neighbor to go and buy it. When she came back, she showed the medicine to her husband. "This will soon cure you," she told him. "The doctor says you must drink it during the night, and cover yourself with one or two blankets to make you sweat. Then go to sleep, and tomorrow you will be able to get up."
"Splendid," Wu Da said. "I am very grateful to you. Don't go to sleep, but make up the medicine for me in the middle of the night."
"Go to sleep again," the woman said. "I will bring it to you without fail." It was beginning to grow dark. Jinlian lighted the lamp. Then she went downstairs, put a great cauldron of water on the fire, and dipped a cloth into it. The watchman sounded the third night watch. She put the arsenic into a cup, filled it up with water, and took it upstairs.
"Brother, where is the medicine?"
"Here, underneath the mattress. Please make it for me at once."
Jinlian lifted the mattress, and took the medicine. She put it into a cup, then filled up the cup with the liquid she had brought, stirring it with a silver pin she took from her hair.
With her left arm she supported her husband. Then she poured the medicine down his throat. Wu Da drank a mouthful.
"Sister," he said, "this medicine is very nasty."
"We are only trying to make you well. Don't be put off by the bitter taste."
Wu Da drank again, and the woman emptied the cup down his throat. She lowered him on to the bed again, herself got down from it. Wu Da groaned.
"Sister, I have taken the medicine, but the pain in my belly feels worse, worse. Oh, I can't bear it."
Jinlian took two coverlets from behind his head, and pulled them entirely over his head.
"I can't breathe," Wu Da cried.
"It is what the doctor told me to do. It will make you sweat, and you'll be better much sooner."
Wu Da again tried to speak, and Jinlian was afraid he might struggle.
She leaped upon the bed and, riding astride his body, pressed down the bedclothes so that he could not move at all.
His lungs were fried in boiling oil, his liver and bowels burned with fire,
His heart was pierced as by a butcher's knife, his belly stirred as by a sword's sharp edge.
Then froze his body to an icy cold, the seven openings all streamed with blood.
Through clenched teeth his three spirits sped to the city of ghosts.
From his parched throat his seven souls fled to the watchtower of Hell.
Thus to the ghosts of all the poisoned deep in Hades
Was joined another,
And in the world of living none was left
To hinder wantonness.

且说西门庆去不多时,包了一包砒霜,递与王婆收了。这婆子看着那妇人道:“大娘子,我教你下药的法儿。如今武大不对你说教你救活他?你便乘此把些小意儿贴恋他。他若问你讨药吃时,便把这砒霜调在心疼药里。待他一觉身动,你便把药灌将下去。他若毒气发时,必然肠胃迸断,大叫一声。你却把被一盖,不要使人听见,紧紧的按住被角。预先烧下一锅汤,煮着一条抹布。他那药发之时,必然七窍内流血,口唇上有牙齿咬的痕迹。他若放了命,你便揭起被来,却将煮的抹布只一揩,都揩没了血迹,便入在材里,扛出去烧了,有甚么不了事!”那妇人道:“好却是好,只是奴家手软,临时安排不得尸首。”婆子道:“这个易得。你那边只敲壁子,我自过来帮扶你。”西门庆道:“你们用心整理,明日五更,我来讨话。”说罢,自归家去了。王婆把这砒霜用手捻为细末,递与妇人,将去藏了。
那妇人回到楼上,看着武大,一丝没了两气,看看待死。那妇人坐在床边假哭。武大道:“你做甚么来哭?”妇人拭着眼泪道:“我的一时间不是,吃那西门庆局骗了。谁想脚踢中了你心。我问得一处有好药,我要去赎来医你,又怕你疑忌,不敢去取。”武大道:“你救我活,无事了,一笔都勾。武二来家,亦不提起。你快去赎药来救我则个!”那妇人拿了铜钱,径来王婆家里坐地,却教王婆赎得药来。把到楼上,交武大看了,说道:“这帖心疼药,太医交你半夜里吃了,倒头一睡,盖一两床被,发些汗,明日便起得来。”武大道:“却是好也。生受大嫂,今夜醒睡些,半夜调来我吃。”那妇人道:“你放心睡,我自扶持你。”看看天色黑了,妇人在房里点上灯,下面烧了大锅汤,拿了一方抹布煮在锅里。听那更鼓时,却正好打三更。那妇人先把砒霜倾在盏内,却舀一碗白汤,把到楼上,叫声:“大哥,药在那里?”武大道:“在我席子底下枕头边,你快调来我吃!”那妇人揭起席子,将那药抖在盏子里,将白汤冲在盏内,把头上银簪儿只一搅,调得匀了。左手扶起武大,右手把药便灌。武大呷了一口,说道:“大嫂,这药好难吃!”那妇人道:“只要他医得病好,管甚么难吃!”武大再呷第二口时,被这婆娘就势只一灌,一盏药都灌下喉咙去了。那妇人便放倒武大,慌忙跳下床来。武大哎了一声,说道:“大嫂,吃下这药去,肚里倒疼起来。苦呀,苦呀!倒当不得了。”这妇人便去脚后扯过两床被来,没头没脸只顾盖。武大叫道:“我也气闷!”那妇人道:“太医吩咐,教我与你发些汗,便好的快。”武大再要说时,这妇人怕他挣扎,便跳上床来,骑在武大身上,把手紧紧的按住被角,那里肯放些松宽!正是:
  油煎肺腑,火燎肝肠。心窝里如霜刀相侵,满腹中似钢刀乱搅。浑身冰冷,七窍血流。牙关紧咬,三魂赴在枉死城中;喉管枯干,七魄投望乡台上。地狱新添食毒鬼,阳间没了捉奸人。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2022-3-14 00:10:00 | 显示全部楼层
The Golden Lotus (CHAPTER 5 The Murder of Wu Da) (Part 5)
Wu Da groaned twice, and gasped for breath. Then his bowels burst, and he died. Jinlian pulled down the bedclothes.
Wu Da's teeth were tight clenched, and blood streamed from the seven openings. She was frightened and, getting down from the bed, knocked on the wall. When old woman Wang heard the knocking, she came to the back door and coughed. Jinlian went downstairs and opened the door.
"Is it all over?" the old woman asked.
"Over? Yes, it is over. My hands and feet fail me, and I can do no more."
"What is the matter with you?" the old woman said. "I'll help you." She rolled up her sleeves, took a tub of boiling water and put a napkin in it. Then she took them upstairs and gathered up all the bedclothes. She wiped Wu Da's lips, and cleaned away the blood from the seven openings. Then she piled the clothes on his body and, step by step, the pair of them carried him downstairs. There, they took an old door, and lifted the corpse onto it.
They combed his hair and put a hat on his head, dressed him, and put shoes and socks upon his feet. They covered his face with a piece of white silk, and set clean bedclothes over him. Then they went upstairs again, and straightened the place. Old woman Wang went home, and Jinlian pretended to mourn for Wu Da, crying, "Husband! Husband!"
Readers, though there are many women in the world, they have but three ways of lamenting. Sometimes they weep and sob at the same time; sometimes they sob and do not weep; and sometimes they weep and do not sob. Jinlian sobbed for half the night, but not a tear accompanied her sobbing.
Next morning, just before dawn, Ximen Qing came to hear how the thing had gone. Old woman Wang told him all about it. He gave her some silver to pay for the coffin and the funeral expenses, and they called Jinlian to discuss the arrangements.
When she came, she said to Ximen Qing: "Wu Da is dead, and you are all I have in the world. All I have done, I have done for you. You must not, some day, cast me aside like a woman's hairnet that is no more needed."
"There is no fear of that."
"But what if ever you change your mind?"
"If I do, may I have the place that now is Wu Da's."
The old woman interrupted them.
"There is one thing that must be attended to at once. We must have him put in his coffin without any delay. The coroner's officers might see that there is something wrong, especially He the Ninth, who is a smart man. He might even refuse to put Wu Da in his coffin."
"There will be no trouble from that quarter," Ximen said. "I will speak to He the Ninth. He will do anything I wish,"
"In that case," the old woman said, "you had better go and speak to him at once. Don't waste a moment." So Ximen Qing set out to find He the Ninth.
The sun, the moon, the stars, all cast their shadows We cannot reach them.
The multitude of happenings, which have no roots save in themselves,
Comes into being.
The herons are behind the clouds
We see them only when they fly.
The parrot is hidden in the willow tree.
We hear him only when he speaks.

那武大当时哎了两声,喘息了一回,肠胃迸断,呜呼哀哉,身体动不得了。那妇人揭起被来,见了武大咬牙切齿,七窍流血,怕将起来,只得跳下床来,敲那壁子。王婆听得,走过后门头咳嗽。那妇人便下楼来,开了后门。王婆问道:“了也未?”那妇人道:“了便了了,只是我手脚软了,安排不得。”王婆道:“有甚么难处,我帮你便了。”那婆子便把衣袖卷起,舀了一桶汤,把抹布撇在里面,掇上楼来。卷过了被,先把武大口边唇上都抹了,却把七窍淤血痕迹拭凈,便把衣裳盖在身上。两个从楼上一步一掇扛将下来,就楼下寻扇旧门停了。与他梳了头,戴上巾帻,穿了衣裳,取双鞋袜与他穿了,将片白绢盖了脸,拣床干凈被盖在死尸身上。却上楼来,收拾得干凈了,王婆自转将归去了。那婆娘却号号地假哭起“养家人”来。看官听说:原来但凡世上妇人哭有三样:有泪有声谓之哭,有泪无声谓之泣,无泪有声谓之号。当下那妇人干号了半夜。
次早五更,天色未晓,西门庆奔来讨信。王婆说了备。西门庆取银子把与王婆,教买棺材发送,就叫那妇人商议。这婆娘过来和西门庆说道:“我的武大今日已死,我只靠着你做主!不到后来网巾圈儿打靠后。”西门庆道:“这个何须你费心!”妇人道:“你若负了心,怎的说?”西门庆道:“我若负了心,就是武大一般!” 王婆道:“大官人,如今只有一件事要紧:天明就要入殓,只怕被仵作看出破绽来怎了?团头何九,他也是个精细的人,只怕他不肯殓。”西门庆笑道:“这个不妨事。何九我自吩咐他,他不敢违我的言语。”王婆道:“大官人快去吩咐他,不可迟了。”西门庆自去对何九说去了。正是:
  三光有影谁能待,万事无根只自生。雪隐鹭鸶飞始见,柳藏鹦鹉语方闻。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|桐木舟论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 21:12 , Processed in 0.056218 second(s), 21 queries .