桐木舟学英语人工智能

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
查看: 284|回复: 0

ChatGPT阅读英语新闻学英语 Kashif Anwar has been jailed for 20 years after being found guilty of murdering his wife by pushing her off Arthur's Seat

[复制链接]

主题

回帖

积分

管理员

积分
发表于 2023-4-6 23:19:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
Kashif Anwar has been jailed for 20 years after being found guilty of murdering his wife by pushing her off Arthur's Seat.Man murdered pregnant wife by pushing her off Arthur's Seat

A man has been jailed for a minimum of 20 years for killing his pregnant wife by pushing her 50ft off a cliff edge at an Edinburgh beauty spot.

Kashif Anwar, 29, killed 31-year-old Fawziyah Javed when she plunged from a rocky outcrop on Arthur's Seat during a holiday in September 2021.
As she lay dying, Ms Javed, from Yorkshire, told a police officer her husband had pushed her.
Anwar claimed he had slipped and bumped into his wife.
The jury at the High Court in Edinburgh rejected that defence and found him guilty of murdering Ms Javed, who was 17 weeks pregnant, and causing the death of her unborn child.
Anwar, from Pudsey, near Leeds, was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum term of 20 years.
Judge Lord Beckett told him that his wife had been entitled to his protection and that he was guilty of a "wicked crime".
He said: "You showed no remorse and made no attempt to save her."
During a week-long trial at the High Court in Edinburgh, the jury heard that Anwar first met Ms Javed when she accompanied her mother to buy new glasses.
Anwar, a student optician, and Ms Javed, an employment law solicitor, began a relationship after meeting again soon after.

Image source, Crown Office
Image caption, Fawziyah Javed died after falling on Arthur's Seat. Arrows show where she fell from and where she landed

Her mother Yasmin Javed told the court that Anwar and his parents visited her family in November 2019 to express his desire to marry her daughter.
They tied the knot on Christmas Day in 2020.
But Ms Javed soon began to feel worried about Anwar's behaviour.
During the trial her mother gave evidence saying she believed her daughter was in a violent, coercive marriage.
She said she was very close to her only child and that her daughter had spoken to her about her husband's abusive behaviour.
Ms Javed's mother also said her daughter had told her she was contemplating leaving the relationship within a few months of marrying Anwar.
She told her mother she planned to leave Anwar after a four-night mini-break to Edinburgh - arriving in the capital on 1 September 2021.
Anwar, who did not give evidence in court, told police officers he and his pregnant wife had a lie-in until 10:00 the following day before having breakfast.
As well as visiting Harvey Nichols and Mulberry, Anwar said they had also visited music store FOPP and a couple of "Harry Potter" shops.
Anwar said they had decided to visit Arthur's Seat, an extinct volcano in Holyrood Park, at the bottom of Edinburgh's famous Royal Mile, after dining at the food chain Wagamama's.
They arrived at the famous hill at about 19:30 and started climbing in order to see the sunset.
But the pair arrived too late and decided to go back down the hill.
It was then they decided to take a selfie on a rocky outcrop.
Anwar told police: "We were below the summit. I lost my balance and fell into her.
"I heard her go over the edge and say 'oh my foot' and she started screaming. I heard a thud."
Ms Javed had fallen 50ft (15m) down the cliff.
But although she had a visible head injury she was able to speak for a short time while she lay dying on the hillside.

Disrespectful person
The first person to reach her, hillwalker Daniyah Rafique, said: "She told me not to let her husband near her and that he had pushed her."
Then police officer, PC Rhiannon Clutton, arrived at the scene. She said: "She was writhing in pain but she was able to speak to me when I asked her questions.
"She said she asked the woman what had happened and said her response was: 'He pushed me'."
The police officer added that Ms Javed said her husband had pushed her as she had tried to end the relationship.
She then went into cardiac arrest and died at the scene from multiple injuries.
Later that night Anwar was arrested for murder.
DC Steven Caballero said Anwar asked how many years he would get and said his life was ruined now.
He asked if he would get bail, but then said "probably not, not for murder".
The detective said the murderer then asked about Edinburgh prisons and what Saughton jail was like.
During the trial, Ms Javed was also heard in a phone recording with Anwar calling him "a disrespectful person" and said he was "horrible".
In the recording, she asked: "Which husband treats his wife the way you do?"

Link

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scot ... D-A092-D1CD4744363C

donzh.com
What is Arthur's Seat in this context?
Kashif Anwar has been jailed for 20 years after being found guilty at the High Court in Edinburgh of murdering his pregnant wife Fawziyah Javed by pushing her off Arthur's Seat.

ChatGPT
In this context, Arthur's Seat refers to a famous and prominent hill in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is located in Holyrood Park, a public park near the center of the city, and is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike due to its panoramic views of the city and surrounding countryside. The hill is named after King Arthur, and there are various legends and myths associated with it. In the given context, Arthur's Seat is the location where Kashif Anwar pushed his pregnant wife Fawziyah Javed off, leading to her death and his subsequent conviction for murder.

donzh.com
Is the hill really like a seat?

ChatGPT
The name "Arthur's Seat" may lead some people to believe that the hill is shaped like a seat, but in reality, it is not. The name actually comes from a more ancient name for the hill, which was "Ard-na-Said" in Scottish Gaelic, meaning "Height of Arrows". The current name is believed to have originated in the 15th century, when King James IV of Scotland visited the area and was reminded of the legendary King Arthur and his seat of power.

Arthur's Seat is actually a group of hills, with the main peak rising to a height of 251 meters (823 feet) above sea level. The hill offers stunning views of Edinburgh and the surrounding areas, and is a popular destination for hikers and tourists. Despite not being shaped like a seat, the name has become a well-known and beloved part of Edinburgh's history and culture.

donzh.com
Please tell me what country the name "Kashif Anwar" is possibly from.

ChatGPT
The name "Kashif Anwar" could have originated from several countries, as it is a fairly common name in various regions of the world. However, it is more commonly found in Pakistan, India, and other parts of South Asia.

In Pakistan, "Kashif" is a popular name for boys and is of Arabic origin, meaning "discoverer" or "revealer". "Anwar" is an Arabic name meaning "brighter" or "shining", and is also used as a name in many Muslim-majority countries, including Pakistan.

It's worth noting that the name Kashif Anwar may also be a combination of a first name and a surname, rather than a full name on its own. In some cultures, the surname is placed first, followed by the given name, so it's possible that "Anwar" could be the surname and "Kashif" the given name.

donzh.com
Please tell me the origin of the word "outcrop" and its related funny stories.

ChatGPT
The word "outcrop" originated in the mid-18th century and is a combination of the words "out" and "crop". The word "crop" in this context refers to a surface layer of rock that appears at the surface of the earth.

As for funny stories related to the word "outcrop," there don't seem to be any particularly notable ones. However, there is a humorous joke that involves a pun on the word "crop" that some might find amusing. The joke goes: "Why was the geologist always depressed? Because he took his work for granite and had a hard time taking it for gneiss." This play on words involves substituting "granite" (a type of rock) for "granted" and "gneiss" (another type of rock) for "nice." It's a bit of a stretch, but it may bring a smile to some geologists or rock enthusiasts.

donzh.com
"Take it for nice" is a phrase?

ChatGPT
No, "take it for nice" is not a common phrase in English. In the joke, the phrase "take it for gneiss" is a play on words with the word "nice". "Gneiss" is a type of metamorphic rock, and in the context of the joke, it is a pun on the word "nice". So, "take it for gneiss" means to take something for granted or to assume something is true without questioning it, while also being a play on the word "nice".

donzh.com
Is there a phrase like "crop out"?

Yes, "crop out" is a common phrase used in geology and mining to describe the appearance of a rock formation or mineral deposit at the surface of the earth. The phrase "crop out" refers to the visible exposure of a rock or mineral deposit that appears on the surface of the ground, either naturally or due to erosion or other geological processes.

For example, a geologist might say that a particular rock formation "crops out" at the top of a mountain, indicating that it is visible on the surface. Similarly, a mining company might search for mineral deposits that "crop out" on the surface, as they are often easier to locate and extract than those that are hidden underground.

donzh.com
According to the dictionary, I only see the verb phrase "crop up". It seems the phrase "crop out" does not exist.

ChatGPT
I apologize for the confusion. You are correct that "crop up" is a more common phrase than "crop out". "Crop up" means to appear or arise suddenly, unexpectedly, or frequently.

I believe I misspoke earlier when I mentioned "crop out" as a common phrase. While "crop out" can be used in the context of geology and mining as I mentioned earlier, it is not a common phrase in everyday English. "Crop up" is the more commonly used phrase to describe the sudden appearance of something.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

donzh.com
Why the word "crop" that originally means  "a plant" or " the amount of grain, fruit", can also mean "to cut sb's hair very short" and "appear or happen suddenly"? Please expalin the funny associations between the meanings.

ChatGPT
The word "crop" has multiple meanings in English that have developed over time. Its original meaning was indeed related to plants, and it referred to the produce of a farm or field, such as grain or fruit.

The meaning of "to cut someone's hair very short" developed later, likely because the hair was being "harvested" or trimmed in the same way that crops are harvested from the ground.

The meaning of "to appear or happen suddenly" likely developed from the idea of something "cropping up" from the ground or soil, like a plant or crop. In this sense, it refers to something unexpected or surprising that appears suddenly, like a weed that suddenly sprouts up in a garden or a problem that suddenly arises.

As for funny associations between these meanings, there is a joke that goes: "Why did the scarecrow win an award? Because he was outstanding in his field." This joke plays on the double meaning of "outstanding" (meaning exceptional or outstanding in quality, and also physically standing out in a field) and the association between the word "field" and "crop" (referring to the plants or crops that grow in a field).

donzh.com
What is "selfie" in this context "It was then they decided to take a selfie on a rocky outcrop."

ChatGPT
In this context, a "selfie" refers to a photograph that a person takes of themselves, often using a smartphone or digital camera. In the sentence you provided, the individuals in question decided to take a photograph of themselves on a rocky outcrop, likely using their phone or camera to capture the image. Selfies have become increasingly popular in recent years, and they are often shared on social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook.

donzh.com
What is the origin of "selfie"?

ChatGPT
The term "selfie" is believed to have originated in Australia in 2002. It was first used in an online forum in September of that year, when a user posted a photo of a bloody lip, which he had sustained in a fall, with the caption "sorry about the focus, it was a selfie". The term began to gain more widespread use in the early 2010s, with the rise of social media platforms and the increasing popularity of smartphones with front-facing cameras.

The word "selfie" is a combination of "self" (referring to the subject of the photograph, who is also the photographer) and "-ie" (a suffix used to indicate a small size or familiarity, as in "movie" and "selfie"). The term quickly caught on, and it was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2013, reflecting its growing importance in modern culture.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|桐木舟论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-13 15:00 , Processed in 0.111668 second(s), 33 queries .